Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade past 8 GB of RAM

So I got a new laptop and its sort of slow and can't handle what I'm doing with it well. So I wanted to upgrade it and I went online and on the Apple website it said that max amount of RAM is 8GB. I currently have 4 GB of RAM. So I looked further and a lot of people said I could upgrade to 16 GB of RAM rather than the 8GB it says on the Apple website. So I'm here to get an answer: Is the max amount of RAM 16 GB or 8GB. I have a "13 mid-2012 MacBook Pro thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), I have a MacBook Pro 13" mid-2012

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 6:54 PM

4 replies

Mar 17, 2018 6:58 PM in response to benpmcl

benpmcl wrote:

So I'm here to get an answer: Is the max amount of RAM 16 GB or 8GB. I have a "13 mid-2012 MacBook Pro thanks in advance.

Yes.

Best to buy RAM from reliable source with the exact specs.

Usually a lifetime guarantee on RAM from third party source like:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en

Mar 17, 2018 8:30 PM in response to etresoft

etresoft wrote:

Hello benpmcl,

You can upgrade to 16 GB in that machine.

I'm thinking not enough info, because "mid-2012" could refer to the first Retina models or last Unibody models.

So for the OP, is it a Retina or a Unibody? The Retina has fixed RAM with no expansion sockets. The Unibody has two SODIMM sockets where Apple "officially" supports up to 8 GB, but where it's well known that 16 GB works. It would also be thicker since it can accommodate up to maybe a 12mm thick SATA drive. Since you mentioned 13", the Unibody would have "Model No. A1278" on the bottom of the case.

Can I upgrade past 8 GB of RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.