Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Play DVD's Problem: PowerBook G3 Lombard / Bronze Keyboard 400MHz

I have a Powerbook G3 Lombard / Bronze keyboard with the following specifications:

400MHz processor

128GB Hard Drive

512MB RAM

OS X 10.4.11

OS 9.2.2

I've read online that this model will play DVD's only if booted into the classic Mac OS (8.6-9.2.2). This is because the 400MHz model includes onboard MPEG-2 decoding.

I've tried to watch a DVD by booting into classic mode (OS 9.2.2) while in OS X, but I just get this message:

"That application or control panel is not supported by Classic."

I've also tried to watch a DVD by booting directly into OS 9.2.2, but this just gives me an error message that reads:

"This Macintosh does not support the Apple DVD Player. Error number (301)."

I even tried watching a DVD while booted only into OS X, but get an error message that reads:

"There was an initialization error. The current machine or system configuration is not supported. [-70013]"

Does anyone now how I can watch DVD's on my Powerbook G3 Lombard? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 400MHz Lombard / Bronze Keyboard

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 10:33 PM

2 replies

Apr 7, 2018 8:21 AM in response to rusticmountain

SOLVED

I decided to erase the partition I had OS 9.2.2 on and reinstall the operating system.
I only had the OS and one application installed on this partition so doing this wasn’t a big deal.
Post reinstallation of the OS and Apple DVD Player 1.3 I'm happy to report I can now watch DVD’s on my Lombard!

Here’s what I did differently that I think solved the problem:
I had initially installed MAC OS 9.2.2 Universal (2013 edition) which I had downloaded from the Macintosh Repository.
I noticed in the notes about this edition of OS 9.2.2 it stated:

“If you want a way more successful Mac OS 9.2.2 boot CD, try the Mac OS 9.2.2 universal boot CD (2002 edition).”

That got me to wondering if the 2013 edition was somehow the problem?
Therefore, for my second installation I used MAC OS 9.2.2 Universal (2002 edition) which I also downloaded from the Macintosh Repository.
This version of the OS worked like a charm!
I’m watching DVD’s just fine now. (When booted directly into OS 9.2.2) 😀

Play DVD's Problem: PowerBook G3 Lombard / Bronze Keyboard 400MHz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.