Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop my I Pad deleting e mails?

I am operating 11.2.6. The I Pad Air keeps deleting e mails. How do I stop this?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 17, 2018 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 18, 2018 1:06 AM

Can you explain further?

Why do you think it is the iPad deleting the email messages?

Do you see the messages on the iPad for a while before they are deleted?

Do you access the same email account(s) from any other device(s)?

Are the message in question visible on the other device(s)?

What type of email account(s) do you see this on?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 18, 2018 1:06 AM in response to iblackie

Can you explain further?

Mar 18, 2018 1:55 AM in response to markwmsn

Thanks

My E Mails keep getting less. e.g The e mails before 22 Feb just have disappeared on my iPad. But not my iPhone

Yes

Yes

Yes

IMAP

It seems that the iCloud ones are fine. As I said all of the emails are visible in my iPhone

Mar 18, 2018 11:58 AM in response to iblackie

If your iCloud account works as you expect, let's focus on your other accounts which are misbehaving.

You say they are IMAP accounts. Is it possible that they were set up for POP access on the iPhone (perhaps a long time ago)? That could explain the behavior you are seeing.

I should also ask whether this iPad is new (to you) and came with this behavior, or whether the behavior was different previously.

Mar 19, 2018 10:23 PM in response to markwmsn

Yes I think they were set up as POP before I bought this iPad. I used a PC lap top until recently but it died so I am using this iPad for the moment. It is approx 1 year old. My iPhone 8 bought in the last 3 months is taking all of the e mails down and not deleting. So I have access but want to sort out this iPad. Should I take off this e mail address on here and reinstall it? Thanks for your help.

Mar 21, 2018 9:48 PM in response to iblackie

Normally, when a device or group of devices use POP to gather email from a mail server, either one of the devices or the server is set to delete mail from the server after a set period of time. That way, the device(s) get a chance to download each message before it is removed from the server. That's fine as long as there are only POP clients using this account. The problem arises when you introduce an IMAP client for the same account without disabling the deletion; the IMAP client just displays what it sees currently on the server.

Is the iPhone 8 accessing this email account via POP or IMAP? If via POP, is it set to delete messages from the server after 24 days?

How do I stop my I Pad deleting e mails?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.