Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts Disappeared

Just got an iPhone 8. Put in my old SIM card in and only some of my contacts have been saved? So in my messages and call history & what’s app theres just numbers with no names?

Posted on Mar 18, 2018 2:33 AM

1 reply

Mar 18, 2018 3:04 PM in response to CHaines4

Hi CHaines4,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities and congratulations on your new iPhone 8! I understand that you're not seeing all of your contacts on your new iPhone but you are able to see previous messages and your call history without contact information attached. I know it's important to have your contacts on your device; I'd like to help. Most contacts are no longer stored on a SIM card and are instead synced with an account; depending on the account you were using to store your contacts, you'll want to work through the following suggestions.

First, log in to iCloud.com using your Apple ID and password; check to see if your contacts are stored here. If so, on your iPhone tap Settings > Your Name > iCloud, from here enable Contacts if showing disabled. If it shows enabled, disable it momentarily and enable it again. Check to see if your contacts begin to sync back to your iPhone. If you do see your Contacts but they don't sync back to your iPhone, let me know.

If you're not using iCloud it's possible you were using a different account to sync your contacts. Use the steps below to either set up or turn on Contacts for a different account:

Set up your contacts account

You can set up your email accounts, like iCloud, Google, Microsoft Exchange, and more, to share contacts with the Contacts app. Or, if you have a contacts account, like a business or school directory, you can set that up too. Here's how:

1. Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords.
  2. Tap Add Account.
  3. Tap your email account. Or tap Other to set up a contacts account, like an LDAP or CardDAV account.
  4. Enter your information and password.
  5. Tap Next.

If you have multiple accounts set up in the Contacts app and want to see contacts for a specific one, open Contacts and tap Groups in the upper-left corner.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Turn Contacts on or off for an account

Want to add or remove all of the contacts from an account that you already set up? Just turn Contacts on or off for that account:

1. Go to Settings > Accounts & Passwords.
  2. Tap the account that has contacts that you want to add or remove.
  3. To add contacts, turn on Contacts. To remove contacts, turn off Contacts, then tap Delete from My iPhone.
Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you're still having trouble could you let me know how you transferred your data from your previous device to your new iPhone?

Best Regards.

Contacts Disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.