Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No longer getting separate full message text in Mail viewer window only list of messages column

Suddenly, for no apparent reason, when I open Mail the viewer window shows only the list of mailboxes, headed by the Inbox, and the list of messages indicating their senders. The actual full text message no longer appears to the right of the sender when I scroll down the list of senders.

I can turn the list of mail boxes on and off and I can extend the right hand edge of the list of senders until the message appears under sender's name but this is not what I want. I want the normal viewer window back.

Have tried every option that seems relevant in Mail Preferences and under View in the Mail menu bar but nothing has the desired effect.

How can I get back to the normal Mail view window with list of mailboxes, senders and text message side by side?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Mar 18, 2018 4:59 AM

5 replies

Mar 18, 2018 5:17 AM in response to dgirling

If you move your cursor to the right hand border of the Mail viewer window, does it turn into a vertical line with a left-facing arrow? If so, click and drag to the left a good distance into the current list of messages. When you let go the preview pane should again be visible.

No longer getting separate full message text in Mail viewer window only list of messages column

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.