You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting ipod classic to usb port in new vehicle

I have an ipod classic and listen to my music in the car by connecting the ipod to the aux port in the vehicle's center console. I have recently purchased a 2018 vehicle that does not have an aux port but only has the usb port for Apple Carplay. Is there a way to connect the ipod in my new vehicle so I can listen to the music using Apple Carplay?

iPod classic

Posted on Mar 19, 2018 8:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2018 2:24 PM

Apple Carplay relies on the iOS (iPod Operating System), but since the Classic doesn't use iOS, it cannot make use of the Carplay feature.

But you should be able to connect the Classic via the USB port (note, USB - not aux. They're two entirely different things) and then, using the Mode button on the car's stereo to select the USB port and recognise the Classic as a USB device. That's the option I was using with my Classic until it failed (albeit not in a vehicle with Apple Carplay). Otherwise, how would anyone use an Android device in the car, because (unless I'm mistaken and very, very wrong) it too cannot use the Carplay feature?

I recommend that you check the handbook with the car, to look for the "connect a non-Apple audio device" option. There must be one. Either that, or the car's manufacturer has been somewhat short-sighted.

• iPod Classic to car's aux port - audio cable from the Classic's headphone jack to the aux socket of the car. Car stereo input mode is AUX
  • iPod Classic to car's USB port - 30-pin cable from iPod dock connector to USB port on car. Car stereo input mode is USB
1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 19, 2018 2:24 PM in response to garyfromhoschton

Apple Carplay relies on the iOS (iPod Operating System), but since the Classic doesn't use iOS, it cannot make use of the Carplay feature.

But you should be able to connect the Classic via the USB port (note, USB - not aux. They're two entirely different things) and then, using the Mode button on the car's stereo to select the USB port and recognise the Classic as a USB device. That's the option I was using with my Classic until it failed (albeit not in a vehicle with Apple Carplay). Otherwise, how would anyone use an Android device in the car, because (unless I'm mistaken and very, very wrong) it too cannot use the Carplay feature?

I recommend that you check the handbook with the car, to look for the "connect a non-Apple audio device" option. There must be one. Either that, or the car's manufacturer has been somewhat short-sighted.

• iPod Classic to car's aux port - audio cable from the Classic's headphone jack to the aux socket of the car. Car stereo input mode is AUX
  • iPod Classic to car's USB port - 30-pin cable from iPod dock connector to USB port on car. Car stereo input mode is USB

Connecting ipod classic to usb port in new vehicle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.