Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I activate push notification using Apple Mail for non-Mac email accounts?

Hello,

Push notifications are not working for my non-Apple email accounts using my iPhone software. I've properly activated notifications per instructions. I assume I've done this correctly because notifications (banners on locked screen, history, etc.) work for my @mac.com account. I'm on iPhone 8 with the latest iOS updates.

But again, my non-Apple emails (such as gmail and a private IMAP email I set up) will not notify me. I have to manually load Apple Mail to see if I got a message. This is very inefficient.

I'm hoping that Apple isn't deliberately preventing non-Apple emails from working to discourage other email providers. If so, its one more reason for me to give up on Apple's overly exclusive eco-system.

Before I pass judgement and leave Apple Mail, does anyone know how I can correct this problem within Apple Mail?

Thank you,

Cody

PS - Yes, I can receive push notifications to my iPhone with other email client software such as Outlook or Gmail's app.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Mar 19, 2018 7:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2018 6:23 AM

Actually, with Outlook you are not getting Push notifications except with Microsoft accounts. Outlook is polling frequently, so it will appear to be Push. You can set Apple's mail app to fetch every 15 minutes, which is what Outlook is doing; Outlook just does it more frequently - every minute or so (I don't know the exact interval). The downside is that the frequent polling uses more data and more battery.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2018 6:23 AM in response to codyflynn

Actually, with Outlook you are not getting Push notifications except with Microsoft accounts. Outlook is polling frequently, so it will appear to be Push. You can set Apple's mail app to fetch every 15 minutes, which is what Outlook is doing; Outlook just does it more frequently - every minute or so (I don't know the exact interval). The downside is that the frequent polling uses more data and more battery.

Mar 19, 2018 7:52 PM in response to codyflynn

Push requires a server that is configured to send Push notifications. Gmail does not send Push notifications, except to the gmail app. Your private IMAP server apparently isn't configured to send Push notifications either.

It's not Apple who is "preventing" anything. Apple's mail will support Push with any server that sends Push notifications. Which, frankly, isn't many. Gmail used to, but they stopped when they released their own gmail app. They still will Push if you have a premium paid enterprise account. Yahoo mail used to also, but they stopped when their mail app was released. MS Exchange and Office 365 will Push, but regular free Microsoft email will not, except to their own mail client (Outlook).

Mar 20, 2018 12:18 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

This doesn't resolve the issue nor is it correct. I'm still looking for a solution, if anyone has advice...

While I appreciate your feedback, again I said I can already do push notification thru other clients like Outlook. And its fre. In fact, I just downloaded Outlook (free version) in apps store and setup up my imap email. Presto. It works fine, I get push notifications. Further it required not action from my IMAP email provider.

So again... unless I hear some practical free solution for push notification on my Apple Mail client, I'm leaving it. It's frankly unacceptable that Apple would block a basic service that other clients (such as Outlook) provides.

Thank you

Cody

Mar 20, 2018 12:53 AM in response to codyflynn

nor is it correct.

unless I hear some practical free solution for push notification on my Apple Mail client, I'm leaving it.

Your beef is with, as has been clearly stated, the mail providers (Google in this case) that chose to stop providing a push service to Apple's app in favour of their own app.

The free and practical solution is to install the free Gmail app in addition to the native iOS Mail app.

Use the Gmail app to get push notifications as allowed by Google and the iOS app to read/compose your mail.

It's frankly unacceptable that Apple would block a basic service that other clients (such as Outlook) provides.

As unacceptable as ranting here with idle threats and inaccurate information?

Mar 20, 2018 1:15 AM in response to LACAllen

Ugh.

Idle threats? Are you Steve Jobs lol? Why do you care whether or not I leave Apple products? Honestly buddy, I have a reasonable beef and I've explained the steps I've taken over hours of application to overcome it.

You and the other fellow are not fully comprehending what I've explained. I have an IMAP email account with DomainHost (non-Google) that I successfully connected to Microsoft Outlook client software (not Gmail) without modifying anything with my email account server, so I've demonstrated that it is possible to receive push notifications with other clients... such as, again, Outlook. In fact, I can get push notifications on Outlook with my gmail emails. I can also do this with other free email clients.

Based on my multiple trial and error, Apple Mail is the main problem. Not my email server account. Again I've demonstrated this through examples.

If you don't know what you're talking about, or you're going to spout Apple marketing dogma, don't.

But I digress. It is looking more likely I have to leave Apple Mail because no one can honestly help resolve an issue that is perhaps unresolvable.

Mar 20, 2018 1:28 AM in response to codyflynn

Ugh indeed.

But again, my non-Apple emails (such as gmail and a private IMAP email I set up) will not notify me.

You and the other fellow are not fully comprehending what I've explained. I have an IMAP email account with DomainHost (non-Google) that I successfully connected to Microsoft Outlook client software (not Gmail) without modifying anything with my email account server, so I've demonstrated that it is possible to receive push notifications with other clients

You cited Google as an issue previously and now exclude it from your post. Our feedback was about Google. You changed the facts of your issue. Twice.

Based on my multiple trial and error, Apple Mail is the main problem. Not my email server account. Again I've demonstrated this through examples.

But I digress. It is looking more likely I have to leave Apple Mail

Ok. bye. Nobody denied what you were saying was accurate, just the blame part.

because no one can honestly help resolve an issue that is perhaps unresolvable.

Kinda what we've been saying no?

Are you Steve Jobs lol?

You know he has passed right? Several years ago now. It was in all the papers.

How can I activate push notification using Apple Mail for non-Mac email accounts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.