Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moisture sensor issues

After waiting over two months for a battery for my iPhone 6 Plus, I went in to the Apple store this evening to have my battery replaced. Upon returning, they told me they couldn't replace the battery because of the moisture sensor. However they could repair it for me for $300. (What a bargain!) I don't know why they just couldn't repair a battery for $30 and let me judge whether my phone worked better.

In addition to their refusal, what made me even more suspicious is that the older woman in front on me (who didn't look like she could readily afford a $300 bill) was told the same thing.

I know my phone has not suffered water damage so I am guessing the sensor might be ultra sensitive to humidity or something else, given I live in the desert! (Is it possible that this sensor issue is engineered to steer consumers towards more costly repairs/replacements. It wouldn't be the first time Apple engineered something for their benefit)

I would like to get a sense of how many other people are getting the same story.

I have always loved Apple products, but lately they have had some very big missteps as far as there trust and customer relations.

Posted on Mar 19, 2018 10:10 PM

2 replies

Mar 22, 2018 6:41 AM in response to skimalibu42

The sensor is engineered to steer consumers towards more appropriate repairs.

Look at it from Apple's perspective, if they notice that the moisture indicator is tripped, while your phone may be working now it might have corrosion inside that will eventually lead to a failure. If they fix the battery and give it back to you, then it fails in a few weeks/months, I bet you will blame Apple for damaging your device and you will demand a free replacement.

Your phone may have been in the shower or sauna, your phone may have contacted water at a time you did not even realize.

I don't think it is a conspiracy to rip you off, I think it is a way for Apple to manage liability in the same way every other phone manufacturer does. Android phones have moisture stickers too.

Mar 22, 2018 6:55 AM in response to skimalibu42

They replace it for $300, not repair it. They can not install a replacement battery in your phone because the device has been damaged by liquid and it would be unsafe to do so. The policy is in place to protect both Apple from liability should your phone catch fire or explode after they replaced the battery in a compromised device, and to protect you from physical harm.

Moisture sensor issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.