Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does iTune backup notes?

Does a iTunes backup include notes? If I backup my iPhone 6 on iTunes and then reset/erase the phone, will my notes appear after I restore from my iTunes backup?

Thanks

iPhone 6, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Mar 20, 2018 1:45 PM

23 replies

Mar 20, 2018 1:56 PM in response to deanc52

Well, you didn't understand my question, so I'll try to help.

When you're in Notes, click the "<" in the upper left corner until you get to the "Folders" page.

Once you get there, what name do you see in the position I've highlighted?

User uploaded file

There are many places to house your notes; e.g., iCloud (where I keep mine), your email provider.

If your notes are housed in iCloud for example (as mine are), then they are not saved in an iTunes backup.

Mar 20, 2018 5:37 PM in response to coheng

If you do not have Notes turned on in iCloud settings then notes are included in an iTunes backup. If you do have Notes turned on then they are not included in an iTunes backup.

There is one additional situation; if the notes are associated with an email account such as an MS Exchange company account those notes will not be included in the iTunes backup.

Mar 20, 2018 6:00 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for all your help. Today, I temporarily transferred those On My Phone notes to my iCloud Notes folder, to avoid any chance of losing them when Apple replaced my battery. I then had to recreate the On My Phone account by finding the Notes option in Settings, and then moved the Notes back to it. These have password info that I don't want to keep in the cloud and so store them only on my phone.

Mar 20, 2018 6:03 PM in response to deanc52

deanc52 wrote:

On another note - am I correct that if I reset my phone the restore from iTunes will reload all my apps that were in the backup?

It should go to the App Store to re-download everything.

I don't remember how far back, but there was a time when the apps were stored in some format (.ipa) in the iTunes backup. Whenever they were updated I would see the old version went in the Trash Can.

Mar 20, 2018 6:05 PM in response to coheng

coheng wrote:

Just requesting a clarification. If my Notes are stored locally on my iPhone (not in iCloud), are they backed up to my MacBook when I back up the phone with iTunes? I had some indication that these local Notes were not stoed on my Mac after the iTunes backup, but maybe I was mistaken.

Thank you!

They are. I remember one time I had a problem with my phone in my pocket where contact wiped the notes. I went to an extraction tool (don't remember the name of the application) to try and recover it. The thing is I didn't actually want to restore that backup to my phone though. I was able to find them but it was only in text format.

Mar 20, 2018 6:37 PM in response to y_p_w

y_p_w wrote:

I don't remember how far back, but there was a time when the apps were stored in some format (.ipa) in the iTunes backup. Whenever they were updated I would see the old version went in the Trash Can.

Apps were never stored in the backup. Prior to iTunes 12.7 they were saved in a folder within the iTunes Media folder, and were reloaded from there. Now they are downloaded directly from the App Store.

Does iTune backup notes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.