Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I update my iPad 5.1.1 to 9?

Can I update from 5.1.1 to 9

Posted on Mar 20, 2018 5:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2018 5:09 PM

Depends what exact model of iPad you have.

If you have a first generation iPad (no cameras) then it cannot be updated to anything beyond iOS 5.1.1

If your iPad does have a camera then it can be updated to at least iOS 9.3.5

Follow the steps here to see if you can update:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2018 5:09 PM in response to tanyafromwilkeson

Depends what exact model of iPad you have.

If you have a first generation iPad (no cameras) then it cannot be updated to anything beyond iOS 5.1.1

If your iPad does have a camera then it can be updated to at least iOS 9.3.5

Follow the steps here to see if you can update:

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Mar 21, 2018 5:25 PM in response to ckuan

Sir, maybe you can help me. I have an older iPad Model A 1490 with OS 11.2.6.

I need to re-install the OS as we are having a software issue whereby the Wi-Fi does NOT stay connected after I close the cover or put it to sleep. The Wi-Fi turns OFF and when I awaken the device I need to go to settings: Wi-Fi not connected > then I reconnect. Please help!

Mar 22, 2018 4:32 AM in response to ckuan

Yes, that is correct. The problem is when we "wake" the iPad up again by opening the cover, the Wi-Fi does NOT wake up and status is "Not Connected". It used to reconnect automatically and now it does not. I believe there is a glich in the download done a few days ago when we upgraded to 11.2.6. So how do we go about and RE-INSTALL 11.2.6 to possibly solve this issue.

Mar 22, 2018 7:45 AM in response to ckuan

I found the problem. In OS 11.2.6 there is a parameter which permits the user to Turn Off or ON the Automatic LogIn of the Wi-Fi after the iPad has gone to sleep. IT WAS SET TO OFF. All I had to do with click to ON. When the device "wakes up" it automatically logs back on to the Wi-Fi network. Thanks for your insights though.

Can I update my iPad 5.1.1 to 9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.