Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install SMC firmware 1.1 update

My MacBook keeps telling me that I need to install the SMC 1.1 firmware update, but each time I try it won't install. It downloads the firmware and I restart the Mac (on mains power supply!), but I keep getting the same screen telling me to update the firmware and that "if these instructions appear on your screen again, the SMC firmware update was not successful." What am I doing wrong????

Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jan 27, 2007 12:00 PM

18 replies

Jan 27, 2007 12:50 PM in response to sjdigital

Check your system profiler ...if your SMC is up to date it will read: SMC Version 1.4f12. If it is not and you have the first gen. Macbook (CoreDuo) then make certain that you are running 10.4.8 before you begin the update.

Make sure you are following these instructions explicitly...

To update the SMC firmware on your MacBook:
Your computer’s power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source.
1. Quit all other open applications.
2. Click Restart in the MacBook SMC Firmware Update window and wait for your computer to restart.
The SMC firmware update starts automatically. A status bar indicates the progress of the update. During the update your computer fans will run at full speed, but will return to normal once the update completes.

As the instructions say - you have to restart the machine via the installer. Also, you do not mention but did you have a status bar appear during the update?

Macbook 1.8-) Mac OS X (10.4.8) Week 38 base model w/1G Ram

Jan 27, 2007 8:38 PM in response to sjdigital

If I remember correctly, patience is the key to updating the firmware as there is no status bar and it does shut the computer down, but if you wait there will be a box appear on the screen after a minute or two telling you to restart. Been a while since I did it but I am 1.4F12 also so think he may have rushed the install a bit. Easy to do without a status bar.

Jan 28, 2007 1:02 AM in response to rcb

When I run the software updater it tells me I need MacBook SMC Firmaware Update 1.1 and invites me to click on 'Install'. It then downloads the update (770KB) and apparently installs it as the Software update screen now says "MacBook Firmware Update: Installed" in the lower left corner of the screen. I then click on 'Quit' and get a screen inviting me to click on "Restart" to start the firmware update automatically and saying that a status bar will indicate progress and that the fans will run at full speed. The computer is then suppoed to restart automatically once the firmware update is completed. When I click on 'Restart', the computer simply shuts down and restarts with no delay, no progress bar, no fans, etc. Once restarted I get the same Firmware Update Screen inviting me to go through the same procedure. At this point I give up! (Perhaps I should add that I have Boot Camp installed but I can't see that this is necessarily relevant as this is an entirely Mac related issue I would have thought.)

Feb 23, 2007 12:24 PM in response to sjdigital

These are Macbooks right out of the box. I don't know anything about Bootcamp. I have done a complete re-install of the Mac OS with no result. Presently, I am erasing the entire harddrive & will try the install again. There was an "X" on the battery icon, if that means anything. The funny thing is that out of 6 new Macbooks, 3 correctly installed the update & are in operation & 3 are hung up right here. Very strange.

Thanks for your interest.

Lew Sudul

Feb 23, 2007 12:58 PM in response to Lew Sudul

Lew,
The reason I asked about Boot Camp was because my problem was in fact directly related to my Boot Camp installation (about which I have some limited knowledge) and I have to confess that I have absolutely no knowledge of, nor expertise in, Mac OS <blush> so I can't add anything futher by way of illumination. But hopefully there will be others who can help. It might be worth starting a new thread as people might only read the first couple of posts and assume that it was a Boot Camp issue and not read any further.

SJ

Feb 23, 2007 3:17 PM in response to Lew Sudul

These are Macbooks right out of the box...The funny thing is that out
of 6 new Macbooks, 3 correctly installed the update &
are in operation & 3 are hung up right here.

The SMC firmware update is only for original Core Duo MacBooks, not Core 2 Duos.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbooksmcfirmwareupdate11.html

What do you mean by "new" MacBooks? New MacBooks should not need, nor allow you to install, that update.

Can't install SMC firmware 1.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.