Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 Hide Alerts

If I turn on Hide Alerts on a particular Messages conversation:

• Will new messages still come through to my phone, just without the alerts?
  • Will they appear at the top of my Messages app chronologically?
  • If I delete a Messages conversation while it was on Hide Alerts, will new messages still come through as well?

Thank you for your help!

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 21, 2018 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2018 7:18 PM

Hello Alayna,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I see you have some questions about how the Hide Alerts feature works in Messages on your iPhone. I would be happy to help provide clarification. The following resource provides additional information as to how Hide Alerts works:

Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Specifically, check out this section:

Hide alerts

To stop receiving message notifications, you can use Hide Alerts. Go to the conversation that you want to mute, tap User uploaded file, then turn on Hide Alerts and tap Done. When Hide Alerts is on, User uploaded file will appear next to the conversation. This stops notifications only for that message conversation, not your device. You’ll still receive all other messages and see notifications for them on your Lock screen.

You can also hide alerts for all your conversations by turning on Do Not Disturb. Go to Settings and tap Do Not Disturb or Scheduled to set up a specific timeframe. This stops all notifications on your device.

Hide Alerts simply mutes notifications for a conversation. You will still receive new messages with the conversation threads in chronological order. If a conversation is deleted, Hide Alerts will remain active on any new messages received from that contact.

Cheers!
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2018 7:18 PM in response to alaynafromplano

Hello Alayna,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I see you have some questions about how the Hide Alerts feature works in Messages on your iPhone. I would be happy to help provide clarification. The following resource provides additional information as to how Hide Alerts works:

Use Messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Specifically, check out this section:

Hide alerts

To stop receiving message notifications, you can use Hide Alerts. Go to the conversation that you want to mute, tap User uploaded file, then turn on Hide Alerts and tap Done. When Hide Alerts is on, User uploaded file will appear next to the conversation. This stops notifications only for that message conversation, not your device. You’ll still receive all other messages and see notifications for them on your Lock screen.

You can also hide alerts for all your conversations by turning on Do Not Disturb. Go to Settings and tap Do Not Disturb or Scheduled to set up a specific timeframe. This stops all notifications on your device.

Hide Alerts simply mutes notifications for a conversation. You will still receive new messages with the conversation threads in chronological order. If a conversation is deleted, Hide Alerts will remain active on any new messages received from that contact.

Cheers!

iOS 11 Hide Alerts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.