Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Change of Apple Id, Find my Friends doesn't work

Hello everybody,

i changed my apple id from an @gmail.com to an @icloud.com address. After this process the find my friends app shows me on all my devices "Location not available".

I did the steps postet in this question find my friends--When I changed my Apple ID, all my friends on Find My Friends locations only say "location not available" What can I do to remedy this?

But even after changing each service to my new iCloud login, find my friends still doesn't seem to work. Same for icloud.com website.

I would be happy if somebody could help me with this issue.

Kind Regards,

Charly

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.6, Find my Friends App

Posted on Mar 21, 2018 9:46 AM

5 replies

Mar 22, 2018 9:47 AM in response to CharelLux

Hello CharelLux,

Thanks for that info and choosing the Apple Support Communities. If I understand correctly, you are unable to use the Find My Friends app, as it shows "Location not available." To help with this issue, please follow these steps from this Apple resource on your situation:

If you need help, try these steps first:

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of Find My Friends, the latest version of iOS on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and the latest version of watchOS on your Apple Watch.
  2. Check Find My Friends on the System Status page for issues.
  3. Force Find My Friends to close on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Wait a minute, then open the app again.
  4. Use these steps if the app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open.

If you see a No location available label for friends

You might not see your friend's location for these reasons:

• Your friend might need to correct the date on their device. Tap Settings > General > Date & Time.
  • The device is off or isn't connected to cellular or Wi-Fi.
  • Your friend turned on Hide My Location in Find My Friends.
  • Your friend turned off Location Services in Settings > Privacy > Location Services or in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Find Friends.
  • Your friend isn't signed in to Find My Friends on the device being located.
  • The device is in a country or region where Apple doesn't offer this feature. This feature might not be available in all countries or regions due to technical limitations or local law.

A device's previous location is available for two hours. After two hours, you see Location not available.

Get help using Find My Friends - Apple Support

Cheers!

Mar 22, 2018 8:07 PM in response to MoonJ.

Hello MoonJ.

Thank you very much for your help, but it didn't resolve my problem.

For the first four steps:

1. I am a big Apple fan, so i update all my device in the same hour when an new IOS version comes out.

2. Green light all the time, this shouldn't be an issue.

3. I tried this several times on my iPad and my iPhone.

4. I reinstalled the app even from the app store (only for my iPhone). But the same issue is still there.

For the other points:

• It is automatic on all my "friends" (my family members) devices
  • No they are online all the time, it is my family I asked them
  • No because they use it for locating me, and they didn't turn it off
  • No they haven't don't this, because my mother would never change this on her own.
  • Yes they are because I did it on my own
  • It worked before an we didn't change the iCloud device location to somewhere else.

The main problem is that Find My Friends always worked perfectly on Mac, iPad and iPhone. After I changed my apple id, in this exact same moment, the app stopped working. It only showed me location not available. I realised I didn't follow the steps described here: Change your Apple ID - Apple Support. I forgot to log out on ALL my devices, and simply changed my id only in the website. What can I do to fix it?

Kind Regards,

Charly

Mar 23, 2018 6:40 AM in response to CharelLux

I had the exact thing happen when changing from my old @verizon.net to @icloud.com. I have also tried all the steps recommended and along with Charly my friends request are my family and their phones are on. I also have the latest IOS etc. The error is the same on my phone, iPad, and computer. Please help us with a solution. Thank you. MR. G

Mar 23, 2018 6:05 PM in response to Leanne_68

Hello everbody,

I called Apple Support. After talking for nearly 2 hours with a software engineer we only found following fix:

Every friend of your list, even from family sharing, has to stop sharing his location with you. After that, your friend has to send a new follow invitation, which you have to accept then.

You don't have to sent new follow request since, your friends can still see you.

I only have 5 friends in Find My Friends and this fixed the issue.

We didn't find out why this is happening, but it seems to be a relatively new issue. Because in November 2017 Apple allowed us to change our Apple ID to an new ID.

Kind Regards,

Charly

After Change of Apple Id, Find my Friends doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.