Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i phone 6 screens crack when they get to hot when charging?

I had my charging case on my phone and my phone was on charge and I put in down to carry on what I was doing, came back to it and the screen was cracked from the home button and curved to either side of the phone, what’s happeened can anyone help?

Posted on Mar 21, 2018 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2018 5:03 PM

That looks like some sharp object hit it right around the home button. I could buy that an excessively hot home button (some people are reporting that the sapphire layer will crack) could cause something like that, but you're going to have a difficult time proving that it wasn't an impact.

It is kind of odd looking though, like the impact came from the inside of the glass. It might be worth bringing in to an Apple Store and explaining how you believe it happened. They're heard it all though, so even if you are right they're going to be extremely skeptical.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2018 5:03 PM in response to Jackjb12

That looks like some sharp object hit it right around the home button. I could buy that an excessively hot home button (some people are reporting that the sapphire layer will crack) could cause something like that, but you're going to have a difficult time proving that it wasn't an impact.

It is kind of odd looking though, like the impact came from the inside of the glass. It might be worth bringing in to an Apple Store and explaining how you believe it happened. They're heard it all though, so even if you are right they're going to be extremely skeptical.

Mar 21, 2018 4:34 PM in response to Jackjb12

Anything is possible in the right (or wrong) circumstances. It could be possible for runaway heat to do that (although it shouldn't), but it might also look like something hit the screen. Apple has guidelines for evaluating glass cracks for warranty replacement eligilbity.

What does it look like? Is it one clean hairline crack with no pits in the crack? When they evaluate it they'll be looking for signs of an impact such as those missing pieces in between the cracks as well as impact damage on the case near where the crack starts. If it's relatively clean with no damage like that they might repair it under warranty. If it's a "spider web" crack or there's some noticeable damage to the case it's not going to qualify, although it might qualify for an out of warranty glass replacement if it's good enough to be repaired.

do i phone 6 screens crack when they get to hot when charging?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.