Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Sierra screensaver doesn't exit when pressing keyboard keys, nor when moving mouse/trackpad.

In High Sierra, after the screensaver starts, it doesn't exit when pressing keys on the keyboard nor when moving the mouse or trackpad. (The screensaver only exits when clicking a mouse button or pressing the trackpad.) It used to work correctly in El Capitan - seems like it is broken in High Sierra?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 23, 2018 2:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2018 10:44 PM

Hi Allen A, thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, most of those suggestions seem related to the Mac's "Sleep" ability, so let me clarify that my Mac's Sleep ability works correctly - my problem is specific to the screensaver only. In any case, I have tried all your suggestions, with the following results:

• Pauses a few seconds before waking up? NO, screensaver continues indefinitely after key-press or mouse-move. (Regardless, hard disk is set to never sleep, and there is no disk in the optical drive.)
  • Screen brightness turned down? NO, I can see the screensaver's wavy lines.
  • External display off? NO, I can see the screensaver's wavy lines on the external display; and the problem also occurs when no external display is connected.
  • Safe Sleep? NO, Mac is not sleeping - I can see screensaver running. (Regardless, my battery is fully charged and I am running on AC power.)
  • Sleep indicator light? NO, again, Mac is not sleeping - I can see screensaver running.
  • Mac turned off? NO, Mac is not off - I can see screensaver running. (You must think I'm really stupid.)
  • Reset SMC - DONE, problem still occurs.
  • Reset NVRAM - DONE, problem still occurs.
  • Disconnect external devices - DONE, problem still occurs.
  • Start in Safe Mode - DONE, problem still occurs.

However, when trying another user account, I had to create a new user account, and noticed the following:

• System Preferences > Mission Control > Displays have separate Spaces: ON - screensaver works correctly.
  • System Preferences > Mission Control > Displays have separate Spaces: OFF - screensaver does not wake from keyboard press or mouse/trackpad move.

The same results occurred when testing it in my own user account, so the problem is not related to any specific user account, but rather, the problem is related to the Mission Control System Preferences.

Steps to reproduce the problem:

1. System Preferences > Energy Saver > Computer sleep: set it to at least 5 minutes (so Sleep function does not interfere with screensaver function).
  2. System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Screen Saver > Start after: 1 minute (so we don't have to wait so long to test it).
  3. System Preferences > Mission Control > Displays have separate Spaces: OFF (un-checked).
  4. Log out, then log in again, for the above setting to take effect.
  5. Wait for 1 minute, for screensaver to appear.
  6. While screensaver is running, press a key on the keyboard - the screensaver should disappear and return to the desktop, but it does not.
  7. Move on the trackpad/mouse - the screensaver should disappear and return to the desktop, but it does not.

I think Mission Control and Spaces should not be related to screensaver behavior, so hopefully this will help someone to figure out what the problem is. Thanks again for your help.

P.S.: It seems that others have experienced this same problem, and from their comments, it seems the problem began with upgrade to High Sierra, in case that is helpful:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2018 10:44 PM in response to CarlAVII

Hi Allen A, thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, most of those suggestions seem related to the Mac's "Sleep" ability, so let me clarify that my Mac's Sleep ability works correctly - my problem is specific to the screensaver only. In any case, I have tried all your suggestions, with the following results:

• Pauses a few seconds before waking up? NO, screensaver continues indefinitely after key-press or mouse-move. (Regardless, hard disk is set to never sleep, and there is no disk in the optical drive.)
  • Screen brightness turned down? NO, I can see the screensaver's wavy lines.
  • External display off? NO, I can see the screensaver's wavy lines on the external display; and the problem also occurs when no external display is connected.
  • Safe Sleep? NO, Mac is not sleeping - I can see screensaver running. (Regardless, my battery is fully charged and I am running on AC power.)
  • Sleep indicator light? NO, again, Mac is not sleeping - I can see screensaver running.
  • Mac turned off? NO, Mac is not off - I can see screensaver running. (You must think I'm really stupid.)
  • Reset SMC - DONE, problem still occurs.
  • Reset NVRAM - DONE, problem still occurs.
  • Disconnect external devices - DONE, problem still occurs.
  • Start in Safe Mode - DONE, problem still occurs.

However, when trying another user account, I had to create a new user account, and noticed the following:

• System Preferences > Mission Control > Displays have separate Spaces: ON - screensaver works correctly.
  • System Preferences > Mission Control > Displays have separate Spaces: OFF - screensaver does not wake from keyboard press or mouse/trackpad move.

The same results occurred when testing it in my own user account, so the problem is not related to any specific user account, but rather, the problem is related to the Mission Control System Preferences.

Steps to reproduce the problem:

1. System Preferences > Energy Saver > Computer sleep: set it to at least 5 minutes (so Sleep function does not interfere with screensaver function).
  2. System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Screen Saver > Start after: 1 minute (so we don't have to wait so long to test it).
  3. System Preferences > Mission Control > Displays have separate Spaces: OFF (un-checked).
  4. Log out, then log in again, for the above setting to take effect.
  5. Wait for 1 minute, for screensaver to appear.
  6. While screensaver is running, press a key on the keyboard - the screensaver should disappear and return to the desktop, but it does not.
  7. Move on the trackpad/mouse - the screensaver should disappear and return to the desktop, but it does not.

I think Mission Control and Spaces should not be related to screensaver behavior, so hopefully this will help someone to figure out what the problem is. Thanks again for your help.

P.S.: It seems that others have experienced this same problem, and from their comments, it seems the problem began with upgrade to High Sierra, in case that is helpful:

Mar 23, 2018 2:35 PM in response to jkmztmza

Hello jkmztmza,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I see that you are having an issue with your MacBook Pro not exiting the screensaver when using the keyboard or moving the mouse or trackpad. Take a look at the following support article and these steps:

If your Mac doesn't wake when you expect

Your Mac might pause a few seconds before it wakes up. If it doesn't seem to wake at all, check for these possibilities:

• Your screen brightness might be turned down.
  • If you're using an external display, your display might be turned off.
  • Your Mac might be in safe sleep. To wake from safe sleep, press the power button.
  • Check for a sleep indicator light, if applicable, and make sure that your Mac isn't turned off.

If that doesn't work, then take a look at this section:

If the previous steps don't work

These additional steps may help identify or resolve the issue:

• Reset the SMC.
  • Reset NVRAM.
  • Disconnect external devices other than your Apple keyboard, mouse, and display. If that resolves the issue, gradually reconnect your devices, testing each time, until you find the device that is interfering with sleep. Then check the documentation that came with the device, or contact the device manufacturer.
  • Start up in Safe Mode to see if the issue is related to non-Apple startup items, login items, or kernel extensions.
  • Try to isolate the issue by using another user account.

If you still see the issue, contact Apple Support.

If your Mac doesn‘t sleep or wake when expected

Best regards.

High Sierra screensaver doesn't exit when pressing keyboard keys, nor when moving mouse/trackpad.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.