Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ios uptade over ota or via Itunes ? which one is better?

Hi All,

What is the difference between updating the iOS with iTunes vs OTA?

The problem is I have read some articles on internet that claims some users have issues (experienced lots of problems) after updating their ios over wifi (ota). this problem made me think that updating version via Itunes is better than ota.

On the other hand, considering that they both go through the same validation process before installation. Maybe, these processes are similar. However, I believe one of them should have a beneficial side due to not having the same connection type

Please tell me what is your opinion on this matter?

Thanks

iPhone 7, iOS 11.2.6, null

Posted on Mar 23, 2018 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2018 10:05 AM

Updating OTA using more storage space on the device being updated so if storage space is low it can be unreliable.

On the other hand, updating with iTunes does the download to the computer running iTunes and then upgrades iOS from the computer. In this way, it uses less storage space on the device being updated.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2018 10:05 AM in response to BerilErimSahin

Updating OTA using more storage space on the device being updated so if storage space is low it can be unreliable.

On the other hand, updating with iTunes does the download to the computer running iTunes and then upgrades iOS from the computer. In this way, it uses less storage space on the device being updated.

Ios uptade over ota or via Itunes ? which one is better?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.