Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pay in Greece?

Hi,

i just noticed Apple Pay is not available in Greece for quite some time. Is it because of a law OR let’s say an issue with the banks of Greece?

Considering the fact that we CANNOT use nfc to Pay (it’s not open) this is an issue that needs to be solved as soon as possible.

Any ideas on how can I, as a citizen and also customer of Apple make this happen?

Thsnk you.

iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 23, 2018 6:22 PM

7 replies

May 26, 2018 12:48 PM in response to antonisps

This is the information that Apple has provided regarding Apple Pay. Apple Pay participating banks in Europe and the Middle East - Apple Support As you can see, Greece is not listed, and until Apple and the banks come to an understanding, it won't be available. As to who's fault, if you are looking to lay blame on someone, no one here would know, and speculation about Apple policy or business is prohibited by the Terms of Service. The only thing that you can do is provide feedback as you learned, and then wait to see when there is an announcement from Apple.

As far as the feedback comment, Apple receives and reviews all feedback since through their website. However, as indicated when you provided the feedback, they will not answer each statement sent in.

May 26, 2018 12:35 PM in response to kronti

Hi Nikos,

sorry, for the belated reply.

I have tried to contact both Apple in Greece and one of the biggest banks in Greece (Piraeus Bank).

Unfortunately, when it comes to Apple mobiles in Greece, the official representatives of them are the local mobile providers (Vodafone, Cosmote and Wind...). When I talked with someone from Vodafone, they said they have no idea when Apple Pay is going to be available and they could not assure me that they will escalate this request. In fact, they said that it is possible that the non-availability of Apple Pay in Greece could be explained due to the fact that "people in Greece don't really use electronic payments (cards etc)"... smh 😕 We all know that this is not true at all...

Piraeus Bank said that Apple refused to collaborate with them for PB's, related to Apple Pay, mobile application, which is available on Android. This was expected of course, due to the policy of Apple, that has decided to have their NFC closed. Then, I asked them if they can escalate my request and they said they will, but they also said that they can not let me know more details about it, like getting updates of how the whole process is going with them and Apple.

This of course means I will never know if someone from both parties actually tries to make Apple Pay in Greece available..

Cheers,

Antonis

P.S. I already have sent feedback to Apple about this. Not sure if it is actually "working".

May 26, 2018 1:05 PM in response to antonisps

What I wanted to share that until Apple makes an announcement, no one will know what is going to happen. You also voiced concern about your feedback, so I provided you an answer to that as well.

The fact is, that your statement about it being "an issue that needs to be solved as soon as possible" is something the banks and Apple need to handle, but feedback to Apple and your local banking institutions is the way to go. Also, Apple Pay is not a separate app like in the Android operating system, so it works differently. Cannot compare the two.

May 26, 2018 1:21 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris,

you told me what Apple has *already* told me, so it does not make sense to *repeat* this information -- at least to me. What I am trying to, hopefully kindly, tell you is that if you do not have anything extra to add as information to someone's question, you do not have to reply to them.

Thanks again,

Antonis

P.S. Of course I can compare Apple Pay to applications on Android that are doing payments, since they have something in common: they allow (or not) their users to do payments via their mobile.

Apple Pay in Greece?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.