Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem exporting photos from iPhoto. Problems with date created, etc

Hello,

Recently I've decided to create a new backup of all the photos I have on iCloud to a hard drive and another cloud services, due to personal reasons.

Exporting 25 thousand photos has raised many issues. The main issue I have right now is the date created. I do understand what Terence Devlin mentioned

"There are two kinds of metadata involved when you consider jpeg or other image files. One is the file data. This is what the Finder shows. This tells you nothing about the contents of the file, just the File itself. The problem with File metadata is that it can easily change as the file is moved from place to place or exported. Emailed, uploaded etc."

But the problem is still there, and it is strange. So I exported, (also, drag and drop, export original) an image taken in January (iPhoto recognize it is taken in January.)

User uploaded file

Opened it in Preview, the created date shown is wrong. Why? I uploaded the same file to Flickr, Google Photos, none of them can't recognize the actual creation date.

User uploaded file

Import the exported file with the wrong creation date shown(in Preview) back to iPhotos, the creation date is back to the actual date in iPhotos. Why?

User uploaded file

Is it because of the camera used? Exporting images taken with a Nikon camera does retain the date created. Or is Apple messing with me so I won't be able to switch to other platforms? I believe exporting photos from iPhotos is becoming harder and harder. Currently, I have limited storage on my Macbook Pro, exporting these images (to an external hard drive) still requiring my Macbook storage, making it hard to export in a huge amount. Errors are popping out very often while exporting (such as loss of connection, even though my connection is stable). Apple recent decision to no to let us select multiple images on iCloud on the browser is making it harder.

Currently using an iPhone SE 16GB, it is impossible to have my iCloud photos turned on(with optimized space) to view all my photos. Just image thumbnail is taking too much space.

I hope someone would be able to help me with this, much appreciated. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Sean

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Mar 25, 2018 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2018 9:04 AM

Sean, you are looking at the file attributes, not the EXIF and IPTC data in Preview.

For example, I exported a photo with "File > Export > Export. photos" and used these settings:

User uploaded file

Then I opened it in Preview and looked at the Inspector, using the Tools menu:

The EXIF tab and the IPTC tab will show the embedded capture time (Date Time Digitized):

User uploaded file

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2018 9:04 AM in response to seanchoong

Sean, you are looking at the file attributes, not the EXIF and IPTC data in Preview.

For example, I exported a photo with "File > Export > Export. photos" and used these settings:

User uploaded file

Then I opened it in Preview and looked at the Inspector, using the Tools menu:

The EXIF tab and the IPTC tab will show the embedded capture time (Date Time Digitized):

User uploaded file

Apr 13, 2018 1:14 AM in response to Mmblake6

When I am exporting originals or edited versions to back them up, I am using the command "File > Export > Export unmodified Original" with these settings - the subfolder format is set to "Moment Name".

User uploaded file

This way, the photos will be saved in subfolders with the name of the moment. You will see the place and the capture date in the folder name. If all photos have places assigned, this makes it very easy to search for photos, for example. I just exported a few of my favorites and the subfolder s lock like this:

User uploaded file

The additional XPM file will save the titles, captions, keywords, locations you assigned. When you reimport a photo with these XPM sidecar files present in the same folder, Photos can restore the metadata from these files.

Problem exporting photos from iPhoto. Problems with date created, etc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.