You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 6s with ios 9?

Hello, I have to buy a new iPhone. I was searching on the internet and I found a quite good price for iPhone 6s, but I can see it's sold with IOS9. Does this mean something bad? Is it an older phone or something that's waiting for a long time to be sold in the store? Shall I buy it anyway and I can easily update it to the newest IOS?

http://b-tel.hu/apple/3069-apple-iphone-6s-64gb-gold-apple-garancia.html

iPhone 6s

Posted on Mar 26, 2018 11:56 AM

12 replies

Mar 26, 2018 11:58 AM in response to luca.nyiradi

It can be updated but be careful about buying used phones.

iCloud: Activation Lock - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201365 - This is a security feature, in part to deter re-selling of stolen devices.

Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock (formerly: Activation Lock: Removing a device from a previous owner’s account) - https://support.apple.com/HT201441 - If an activation lock was put on a device, only the owner of the account that applied the lock can remove it.

Mar 26, 2018 11:59 AM in response to luca.nyiradi

If you are looking at an iPhone 6s that still has iOS 9 on it, then more than likely it is a gray market phone and won't have any warranty on it. It was purchased a while ago and the warranty begins when it is purchased. While they may say that it has not been activated, it doesn't matter. I wouldn't purchase a device except from Apple or an Authorized Apple reseller. While you could update the iOS on the device and you may not have any issues with it, if you do, then you won't be covered by warranty. I would steer clear of it.

Mar 26, 2018 12:06 PM in response to luca.nyiradi

And who is providing this warranty, I'll bet it isn't Apple. I never said it wasn't legal, what I said was it was a gray market phone. If they are not an Authorized Apple reseller, then they don't get their phones from Apple, but from another source, which means the phone is sold to them first, which is what activates the warranty. So even if it is in a sealed box, it isn't new, and probably doesn't have a warranty. No telling what region of the world that device was designed to be sold in either. Up to you if you wish to waste your money.

Mar 26, 2018 12:07 PM in response to luca.nyiradi

Legal does not mean authorized. If they are not an authorized distributor of iPhones, then it does not have an Apple warranty. Also, if they are not an authorized distributor, then it is not "new". Even if it's still factory sealed in the original box, as far as Apple is concerned, it's used.

Just like when you buy a new car. The minute it's titled, it's considered used, even if you haven't driven it off the lot yet.

Mar 26, 2018 12:26 PM in response to luca.nyiradi

Just because it says that, doesn't mean it is true. It is up to you what you do, since it is your money. We are just providing you with what is and isn't true from Apple. You make your decision based on whatever you wish to believe. However, I'd be awful disappointed if I purchased the device, found it was designed to be sold in Japan, the only place the warranty was valid was in Japan, and the warranty was expired because it was purchased more than 12 months ago.

Your money, do what you want.

iphone 6s with ios 9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.