Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Grey Circles on Device

Hello-

I'm having a frustrating issue in iTunes where several hundred songs are showing up totally greyed out, with a dotted circle in the most left-hand column. The songs show up like this only from the Device menu, but can be played directly from the iTunes library and from the iPhone (8 plus), but not from the list under the device when connected to iTunes. Below is an example of one playlist where every song but one is greyed out. Hundreds of songs show like this under Music when browsing under the iPhone in iTunes.

Things that I have tried so far:

Removing duplicates from iTunes Library

Converting high bit-rate songs to 128 AAC (This fixed about 345 of the songs, still have a few hundred left like this)

Signing out of iTunes and back in

De-authorizing/Authorizing PC

Syncing entire music library versus selected playlists, albums, artists

Deleting song and re-downloading from iCloud

Transferring purchases back to device

User uploaded file

Please help

Thanks!

iPhone 8 Plus, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 26, 2018 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2018 1:18 PM

Hello Turingtest2

Factory defaulting the iPhone doesn't really address the issue. Sure, it might fix the problem but I want to know why it is happening. I'd also rather not factory reset it since this device belongs to upper-management of my company and I'd like to not significantly disrupt anything. Do you think that deleting all the music off the device and syncing would solve the problem?

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2018 1:18 PM in response to turingtest2

Hello Turingtest2

Factory defaulting the iPhone doesn't really address the issue. Sure, it might fix the problem but I want to know why it is happening. I'd also rather not factory reset it since this device belongs to upper-management of my company and I'd like to not significantly disrupt anything. Do you think that deleting all the music off the device and syncing would solve the problem?

Mar 27, 2018 9:58 AM in response to ZaesEQ2

Hello ZaesEQ2,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you have several songs that are showing in light gray text. The following article has some information that you may find helpful:

About iCloud Music Library icons and status - Apple Support

If your songs appear in light gray text

Your songs might appear in iTunes in light gray text for a variety of reasons. Those reasons include:

• You're not connected to iCloud Music Library. If you see a Disconnected icon in the upper-right corner of iTunes, you're not connected to iCloud Music Library. Click the icon to reconnect.
  • The song isn't in Apple Music or isn't available in your current country or region. These songs also appear in gray if you search for them in Apple Music.
  • Restrictions are turned on for explicit tracks. Learn more about Restrictions.
  • An artist or content provider made changes or edits to an album. You might need to remove the album from your library and add it back from the Apple Music catalog.
Best Regards.

Mar 27, 2018 10:00 AM in response to ZaesEQ2

You could try the following all-purpose steps for dealing with erratic device or sync behaviour (including the troublesome greyed out tracks and/or dotted circles of stalled transfers). They assume that all of the content you want on the device is in your library ready for restoring. If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device first. I would also recommend you copy everything out of the camera roll if you haven't already.

1. Backup device.
  2. Restore as a new device.
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

Use an encrypted backup (*) if you want to preserve passwords, Wi-Fi settings, web history and health data where appropriate. I also suggest syncing with a selection of playlists (unless you're using iCloud Music Library) rather than manually adding content as, if nothing else, the process above is easier to do if you ever have to go through it again.

(*) The downside with backup encryption is that if you forget the password when you need it again, which could be years later, you may need to invoke a workaround to turn off encryption as shown in Re: disable encrypted backups, which can only help if your device is in a state that can backup to iCloud, or runs iOS 11.

For added security you might also want to make an independent backup to iCloud and/or archive your current backup before you start.

FWIW I successfully used this method some time ago when Siri became unable to call contacts or play my music.

tt2

Mar 27, 2018 1:08 PM in response to MoonJ.

Hi Moon

Thanks your response. I can confirm that iTunes is connected to the iCloud Music Library because I am able to delete a song from the library and re-download it from the Cloud. For the device and account in question, is not subscribed to Apple Music, and there are no restrictions turned on. Considering that this is mostly music that was from purchased CDs burned to iTunes, I'm not sure why I'm having this problem.

Mar 27, 2018 3:17 PM in response to ZaesEQ2

Judging from other posts on this issue it can potentially be caused by a conflict between automatic downloads from purchase history and manual transfers, but it may also be that a sync was interrupted and the database on the device doesn't properly reflect what has transferred. My own experience last time I saw it, of switching to manual management and deleting all music visible in iTunes, wasn't successful. Some users have reported success using third party tools to dive into the device's file system and remove current media on the device then reload from iTunes, however that brings with it another set of risks, although it is potentially quicker.

tt2

iTunes Grey Circles on Device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.