Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won’t my text messages backup?

iPhone 6plus.

Tried all troubleshooting.

Text messages is not even an option under my iCloud backups

Posted on Mar 26, 2018 8:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2018 9:47 PM

tonya280 wrote:

And as I stated previously, text messages is not even an option to backup under iCloud after all the troubleshooting Apple support suggested.

That is absolutely correct. You do not get to choose anything related to what gets backed up and what does not get backed up. When you perform an iCloud (or iTunes) backup, generally speaking (not precisely), all your data that is not saved somewhere else (e.g., a cloud) is backed up. You have no choice. You back up everything the backup is set up to contain. Similarly, when restoring, you cannot pick and choose what gets restored. You restore everything from an iCloud or iTunes backup - or you restore nothing.

As I said, your messages are absolutely backed up in either an iCloud or iTunes iOS system backup.

If you're concerned Messages doesn't appear here, that has nothing to do with an iCloud backup. It has to do with what's stored in iCloud, a totally different concept.

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2018 9:47 PM in response to tonya280

tonya280 wrote:

And as I stated previously, text messages is not even an option to backup under iCloud after all the troubleshooting Apple support suggested.

That is absolutely correct. You do not get to choose anything related to what gets backed up and what does not get backed up. When you perform an iCloud (or iTunes) backup, generally speaking (not precisely), all your data that is not saved somewhere else (e.g., a cloud) is backed up. You have no choice. You back up everything the backup is set up to contain. Similarly, when restoring, you cannot pick and choose what gets restored. You restore everything from an iCloud or iTunes backup - or you restore nothing.

As I said, your messages are absolutely backed up in either an iCloud or iTunes iOS system backup.

If you're concerned Messages doesn't appear here, that has nothing to do with an iCloud backup. It has to do with what's stored in iCloud, a totally different concept.

User uploaded file

Mar 26, 2018 9:06 PM in response to sberman

I tried everything, spent over an hour on the phone with Apple support (did all the usual settings, general, iCloud) for them to tell me to backup my phone now and force restart. Did that, still has not showed text messages as backing up. I’ve logged into iCloud.com and doesn’t give me option to recover texts. And as I stated previously, text messages is not even an option to backup under iCloud after all the troubleshooting Apple support suggested.

Why won’t my text messages backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.