Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen automatically dims

My phone screen keeps dimming. I'm not on auto brightness, nor on Low Power Mode. This seems to happen when I'm in the middle of a heavy use app, such as PUBG, the brightness would drop randomly. Then when I'd exit the app, and use the brightness scroller, it would have no effect on the brightness on the right half, it would stay constantly dim. Any idea why?

Posted on Mar 30, 2018 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2018 10:46 AM

You can check the auto-dimming and auto-brightness settings to make sure they're not affecting you.

Auto-dimming is in the "display and brightness" system preference (but that only affects when you don't touch the screen, so probably not your problem)

Auto-brightness is kind of hidden, look in General --> Accessibility --> Display Accommodations. If you are somehow blocking the light sensors or cameras while using your apps, that could cause the display to temporarily brighten or darken when you move your finger or phone (I have a habit of resting my ipad on my stomach while I read, and sometimes my shirt overlaps and causes the screen brightness to change).

But some apps will adjust the brightness themselves. It's possible that the app you're using does this, and has bug that causes it to get stuck somehow. If you notice this happening while using (or after using) certain apps consistently, then you should report the bug to the developer of that app. I suspect this is your problem, because you're saying that the brightness slider gets stuck - usually restarting the phone will clear it up, until the next time you use that app.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2018 10:46 AM in response to bepismaster

You can check the auto-dimming and auto-brightness settings to make sure they're not affecting you.

Auto-dimming is in the "display and brightness" system preference (but that only affects when you don't touch the screen, so probably not your problem)

Auto-brightness is kind of hidden, look in General --> Accessibility --> Display Accommodations. If you are somehow blocking the light sensors or cameras while using your apps, that could cause the display to temporarily brighten or darken when you move your finger or phone (I have a habit of resting my ipad on my stomach while I read, and sometimes my shirt overlaps and causes the screen brightness to change).

But some apps will adjust the brightness themselves. It's possible that the app you're using does this, and has bug that causes it to get stuck somehow. If you notice this happening while using (or after using) certain apps consistently, then you should report the bug to the developer of that app. I suspect this is your problem, because you're saying that the brightness slider gets stuck - usually restarting the phone will clear it up, until the next time you use that app.

Mar 31, 2018 10:33 AM in response to bepismaster

Hello bepismaster,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It's my understanding that your iPhone screen has been intermittently dimming. During this time you're unable to adjust the brightness and the right half of the screen remains dim. I can surely see how this could be concerning. I'm happy to help.

If you haven't already, restart your iPhone. Restarting can resolve many unexpected behaviors.
Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
If the issue persists, reinstall iOS with iTunes. This step can resolve possible software issues. When reinstalling iOS, iTunes will completely remove your current software and install a fresh version. While iTunes will try to do this without removing data, it's a good idea to make sure you have a recent backup before trying this step.
How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Use the steps in the link below to reinstall iOS with iTunes:
If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
Let us know if the issue continues. Please include any other troubleshooting steps you may have tried.
Have a wonderful day!

Screen automatically dims

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.