Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to monitor network traffic of Airport Extreme

I have an airport extreme, the tower style wireless router, without time capsule.

I have read how apple did not design in the ability to monitor network traffic of this router. I did however read some vague comments about how I could do this by using an older apple router along with my airport extreme. I would like details about how to do this. I have two other devices that may help: I have a 1st gen airport express, and I have the prior gen airport extreme, prior to the tower model. I think it supports the n wifi protocol.

Thanks for any help with this.

Mac mini, macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Posted on Mar 30, 2018 3:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2018 6:23 PM

I am guessing you are not so concerned with logging.. which Bob has given you the necessary info for.. but are actually pretty useless as the logs don't tell you anything about bandwidth usage.

I have read how apple did not design in the ability to monitor network traffic of this router.

Worse .. Apple removed the ability that existed in Gen5 and earlier Extreme or Time Capsule. I am not sure about the Express.

To use the Gen5 airport extreme along with the AC model (not officially Gen6 but we do call it that).

Sort of depends on how your network is setup.

What is your main modem and broadband type?

What speed are you getting? ISP spec and real world. Upload and download please.

If you use a pure modem or bridged modem router.. then you can replace the Gen6 with Gen5 to handle routing duties.. and plug the Gen6 into Gen5 to act as Wireless AP.

If your main modem is actually a router/gateway. You can check the specs if it has SNMP available.. almost any decent router will support SNMP. It can also work with UPNP if the router has sufficient controls.

Then you need an application for the computer to read the SNMP data.. eg on a Mac is PeakHour. This is a very good app and fairly cheap. It will tell you usage of all the device.. but remember your computer must be on 24/7 to read the info. There is a free download to check your ISP router.

The other method which I recommend is a router with proper bandwidth controls.

1. Cheapest is something that takes a third party like Gargoyle firmware. You need to buy a suitable router and flash it.. which is like any other firmware update.. not difficult but important you choose exactly the right hardware and firmware.

I am not allowed on the forum to point you to the firmware.. but please see this post.

Re: How do I enable SNMP on Airport Extreme 802.11ac?

Gargoyle is stand out if your needs are not too great in terms of speed. It works exceptionally well and includes quota controls. A new TP-Link C7 is around $100US so not a seriously heavy outlay.

If your speeds are lower like 50Mbps an older WNDR3800 from ebay is probably around $10.

None of the other methods have quota.

2. A router with built in controls.

About the best of these is Asus models from RT-AC68U and up. They are fairly expensive but the firmware is excellent.. and there is a special version called Merlin with even more controls. It cannot control in the way Gargoyle does but includes excellent QoS and Throttling in the latest versions.

3. A linux based router.

Ubiquiti or Mikrotik.

These are highly configurable semi-pro type routers.. fairly cheap actually to buy but you need to learn the OS. It is a steep learning curve so not to be undertaken lightly.

You can also DIY using a software router like PFsense. End result is much the same as using actual router but will use a PC.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2018 6:23 PM in response to T2sqrd

I am guessing you are not so concerned with logging.. which Bob has given you the necessary info for.. but are actually pretty useless as the logs don't tell you anything about bandwidth usage.

I have read how apple did not design in the ability to monitor network traffic of this router.

Worse .. Apple removed the ability that existed in Gen5 and earlier Extreme or Time Capsule. I am not sure about the Express.

To use the Gen5 airport extreme along with the AC model (not officially Gen6 but we do call it that).

Sort of depends on how your network is setup.

What is your main modem and broadband type?

What speed are you getting? ISP spec and real world. Upload and download please.

If you use a pure modem or bridged modem router.. then you can replace the Gen6 with Gen5 to handle routing duties.. and plug the Gen6 into Gen5 to act as Wireless AP.

If your main modem is actually a router/gateway. You can check the specs if it has SNMP available.. almost any decent router will support SNMP. It can also work with UPNP if the router has sufficient controls.

Then you need an application for the computer to read the SNMP data.. eg on a Mac is PeakHour. This is a very good app and fairly cheap. It will tell you usage of all the device.. but remember your computer must be on 24/7 to read the info. There is a free download to check your ISP router.

The other method which I recommend is a router with proper bandwidth controls.

1. Cheapest is something that takes a third party like Gargoyle firmware. You need to buy a suitable router and flash it.. which is like any other firmware update.. not difficult but important you choose exactly the right hardware and firmware.

I am not allowed on the forum to point you to the firmware.. but please see this post.

Re: How do I enable SNMP on Airport Extreme 802.11ac?

Gargoyle is stand out if your needs are not too great in terms of speed. It works exceptionally well and includes quota controls. A new TP-Link C7 is around $100US so not a seriously heavy outlay.

If your speeds are lower like 50Mbps an older WNDR3800 from ebay is probably around $10.

None of the other methods have quota.

2. A router with built in controls.

About the best of these is Asus models from RT-AC68U and up. They are fairly expensive but the firmware is excellent.. and there is a special version called Merlin with even more controls. It cannot control in the way Gargoyle does but includes excellent QoS and Throttling in the latest versions.

3. A linux based router.

Ubiquiti or Mikrotik.

These are highly configurable semi-pro type routers.. fairly cheap actually to buy but you need to learn the OS. It is a steep learning curve so not to be undertaken lightly.

You can also DIY using a software router like PFsense. End result is much the same as using actual router but will use a PC.

Mar 30, 2018 5:23 PM in response to T2sqrd

You will need an older version of AirPort Utility 5.6.1 installed on your Mac to view any of the logs on the AirPort Express and prior generation AirPort Extreme. Please note that there will be no information available for the current models of the AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule, even if you have AirPort Utility 5.6.1 installed on your Mac or PC.

Unfortunately, that means that you will need to have a Mac running an old operating system like Leopard (10.5.x) or Snow Leopard (10.6.x) or Lion up to (10.7.2) to be able to use AirPort Utility 5.6.1.....or......a PC with AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows.

Open up AirPort Utility 5.6.1

Select the AirPort Express or older AirPort Extreme

Click Manual Setup

Click the Advanced icon at the top of the next window

Click Logging and Statistics

User uploaded file

The 6.x version of AirPort Utility, which was introduced 6+ years ago with Lion (10.7.3), does not support any kind of logging, although it is possible to "see" wireless clients that are connected to the particular AirPort router.

How to monitor network traffic of Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.