Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i delete photos on iphone but keep on icloud or one drive

I would like to delete several hundred photos from my iPad/iPhone. I have them backed up on iCloud and also on OneDrive. Will deleting from iOS devices delete from back-ups??

Thanks for any advice/guidance.

iPhone 8, iOS 11.3

Posted on Mar 30, 2018 5:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2018 6:16 PM

Apple doesn't currently offer any cloud-only storage option for photos. With iCloud Photo Library, any photo you delete from a device will also be deleted from iCloud. With iCloud Backup, deleting a photo won't immediately delete it from a backup but the photo will not be included in future iCloud Backups and will eventually be lost.

There is a OneDrive app in the App Store ( Microsoft OneDrive on the App Store ) that indicates a feature to backup photos but I don't know whether it allows you to delete the photo on the phone without affecting the OneDrive backup. You may want to also ask on the Microsoft forum: Results in OneDrive - Microsoft Community

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2018 6:16 PM in response to Dave Jeter

Apple doesn't currently offer any cloud-only storage option for photos. With iCloud Photo Library, any photo you delete from a device will also be deleted from iCloud. With iCloud Backup, deleting a photo won't immediately delete it from a backup but the photo will not be included in future iCloud Backups and will eventually be lost.

There is a OneDrive app in the App Store ( Microsoft OneDrive on the App Store ) that indicates a feature to backup photos but I don't know whether it allows you to delete the photo on the phone without affecting the OneDrive backup. You may want to also ask on the Microsoft forum: Results in OneDrive - Microsoft Community

can i delete photos on iphone but keep on icloud or one drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.