Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i turn off the photo sync between my iphone and my mac?

The main problem is, that when I delete a photo on my iphone (i need the space), than it will automaticly delete it from my mac, and btw my icloud too. How do I turn this off? it's really annoying!!

Posted on Mar 31, 2018 2:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2018 2:26 PM

Hi marianngabriella,

Thanks for posting your question in the Apple Support Community. I understand that you'd like to turn off the ability for your photos to sync between your devices.

It sounds like you have iCloud Photo Library enabled for your iCloud account. This allows you to keep the photos up to date on all of your devices. Any time you make a change on one device (like deleting a photo), that change happens on all other devices where your iCloud photo library is turned on. You have the option to either disable it on only one device, or all of your devices. You can follow the steps to turn it off here:

How do I turn off iCloud Photo Library on only one device?

You can turn off iCloud Photo Library on a single device when you follow these steps:

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
    • If you use iOS 10.3 or later, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos, then turn off iCloud Photo Library.
    • If you use iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings > iCloud > Photos and turn off iCloud Photo Library.
  • On your Mac, go to System Preferences > iCloud > Options next to Photos, then deselect iCloud Photo Library.
  • On your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation), go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud. Under Photos, press Select to turn off iCloud Photo Library.

If you have Optimize Storage turned on, you might not have all of your original photos and videos on your device. To download the original photos and videos on your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and select Download and Keep Originals. On your Mac, open Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then select Download Originals to this Mac. Then you can turn off iCloud Photo Library. You can also select the photos and videos that you want to download from iCloud.com.

Before you turn off iCloud Photo Library, you might want to make a copy of your photos and videos.

How do I remove all iCloud Photo Library content from iCloud and my devices?

To turn off your iCloud Photo Library everywhere, follow these steps:

• If you use iOS 10.3 or later, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Storage > Manage Storage > iCloud Photo Library, then select Disable and Delete.
    • If you use iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage > iCloud Photo Library, then select Disable and Delete.
  • On your Mac, go to Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud. Click Manage, select Photo Library, then select Disable and delete.

Photos and videos are stored in your account for 30 days. To download your photos and videos on your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and select Download and Keep Originals. On your Mac, open Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then select Download Originals to this Mac. You can also select the photos and videos that you want to download from iCloud.com.

Get help with your iCloud Photo Library
If you decide to turn off iCloud Photo Library on your devices, then you'll need to keep your photos up to date on your devices using another method. You can use these steps to Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2018 2:26 PM in response to marianngabriella

Hi marianngabriella,

Thanks for posting your question in the Apple Support Community. I understand that you'd like to turn off the ability for your photos to sync between your devices.

It sounds like you have iCloud Photo Library enabled for your iCloud account. This allows you to keep the photos up to date on all of your devices. Any time you make a change on one device (like deleting a photo), that change happens on all other devices where your iCloud photo library is turned on. You have the option to either disable it on only one device, or all of your devices. You can follow the steps to turn it off here:

How do I turn off iCloud Photo Library on only one device?

You can turn off iCloud Photo Library on a single device when you follow these steps:

• If you use iOS 10.3 or later, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos, then turn off iCloud Photo Library.
    • If you use iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings > iCloud > Photos and turn off iCloud Photo Library.
  • On your Mac, go to System Preferences > iCloud > Options next to Photos, then deselect iCloud Photo Library.
  • On your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV (4th generation), go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud. Under Photos, press Select to turn off iCloud Photo Library.

If you have Optimize Storage turned on, you might not have all of your original photos and videos on your device. To download the original photos and videos on your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and select Download and Keep Originals. On your Mac, open Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then select Download Originals to this Mac. Then you can turn off iCloud Photo Library. You can also select the photos and videos that you want to download from iCloud.com.

Before you turn off iCloud Photo Library, you might want to make a copy of your photos and videos.

How do I remove all iCloud Photo Library content from iCloud and my devices?

To turn off your iCloud Photo Library everywhere, follow these steps:

• If you use iOS 10.3 or later, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Storage > Manage Storage > iCloud Photo Library, then select Disable and Delete.
    • If you use iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings > iCloud > Storage > Manage Storage > iCloud Photo Library, then select Disable and Delete.
  • On your Mac, go to Apple menu > System Preferences > iCloud. Click Manage, select Photo Library, then select Disable and delete.

Photos and videos are stored in your account for 30 days. To download your photos and videos on your iOS device, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos and select Download and Keep Originals. On your Mac, open Photos, choose Photos > Preferences, then select Download Originals to this Mac. You can also select the photos and videos that you want to download from iCloud.com.

Get help with your iCloud Photo Library
If you decide to turn off iCloud Photo Library on your devices, then you'll need to keep your photos up to date on your devices using another method. You can use these steps to Transfer photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Take care.

How do i turn off the photo sync between my iphone and my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.