Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delete Old iMessage backup from iCloud Storage?

I recall using the iOS 11 Beta. During that time they introduced the messages back up.

Long story short and fast forward to today, I still have 2.8 GB of iMessages stored that I cannot delete. The old iPhone is the current one hat I am using, but when I was using the iOS beta. Also, I did call Apple support and they told me I would have to wait since I was in beta and it might get fix when the latest version came out.

Of course I forgot about it until this last week when My storage was full and couldn’t back up my iPhone.

And what do you know, that old messages data still in iCloud and I’m unable to delete it. I tried to iCloud.com, my MacBook, iPhone, etc.

Does anyone know what can be done to fix this issue?

I already deleted all my own messages and it’s taking up 0 space but that back up is still in the cloud...

User uploaded file

Posted on Mar 31, 2018 7:58 AM

6 replies

Apr 14, 2018 8:38 PM in response to Slagish

Well got word back from the technician that was assisting me with this issue. I guess we’re stuck with this problem for the foreseeable future. I will give them credit for their dedication in trying to help and find a solution. Hopefully it’ll get fixed in the future. At least now it doesn’t say “Messages” that’s taking up my backup space but instead now just says Backups but my backups is still only using 1.7GB and unable to delete the remainder. You can view the picture below.

This is what Stanley related:

I tried to call you but was unable to reach you. The engineering team let me know they are still investigating the Issue. I do not know when a solution will be available nor can predict when any investigation will be complete. The resolution may come in the form of a software update, documentation change, knowledge base article, or some combination of the three. So best practice in the mean time is to keep your software up to date and I will let you know if I hear of a specific fix being posted.

As a work around you can buy more iCloud storage - see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201318 - temporarily.Regards,Stanley Toney

Apple

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 31, 2018 1:31 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I’ve alreeady deleted My backups and turned off iCloud on my device which only left the 2.8 GB of used spaced taken by Messages from an iOS beta backup. At that time the iOS beta didn’t have a way to delete that data. Don’t recall exact specifics.

That backup currently on there is my latest backup for my iPhone that I since turned back on.

Apr 11, 2018 4:22 PM in response to Slagish

I have the same problem; 2.8 GB for “Messages” but unable to delete it or otherwise modify; cannot see any further detail of it. I recently upgraded to iOS 11.3 and within days received a warning that I was using 4.9 GB out of my 5 GB allotment. It’s not clear if any messages are currently being backed up through the individual iPhone backups on my iCloud.

I called Apple Support on morning of Sun 4/8 about this issue. Neither person I spoke with (about an hour on the phone, including hold times) was able to resolve it. They couldn’t even determine that Messages was taking up the extra allotment, so I sent them a screenshot of my phone iCloud settings screen. They also did a remote screen-viewing of my phone to attempt to diagnose/troubleshoot, to no avail.

The second person I talked to ended up escalating the issue to Engineering; on Weds 4/11 evening, I am still awaiting a resolution.

Apr 17, 2018 10:00 AM in response to Slagish

I received the below response from Apple Support today (4/17); case originally opened on 4/8:

I did get get a further response and learned that you are not the only one having this issue at moment, and a fix for it is in the works. It is just going to be a matter of time before that fix will roll out. This will either be something where I will be contacted further, or it could be fixed with a future iOS update. I will certainly fill you in on more when I learn more.”

How can I delete Old iMessage backup from iCloud Storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.