Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is library/safari folder missing after 10.13.4 update?

I have 2 MBPs and updated both to 10.13.4. Following the update, many safari database cookies appeared and couldn't be deleted on both MBPs (preferences>security). On MBP #1, I Go To Folder library/safari/databases and trash the unwanted databases. On MBP #2, I typed in the same Go To Folder, but the Safari folder was not present in Library. I tried restarting MBP #2. I then again went to Go To Folder, typed in library/safari/ databases, and tis time I got a message (in Finder window) that the folder couldn't be found. So there are 2 problems following the 10.13.4 update: 1) A large number of database cookies on both computers. 2) What's happened to the Safari folder of MBP #2? Going to Develop>Empty Caches doesn't help.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 1, 2018 7:05 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 1, 2018 7:36 AM in response to nhuser

Those dtabases can collect quite easily. Using Safari's "Manage Website Data..." followed by "Remove All" does not remove databases created by websites.

Cookies and website data will be populated from sources other than the obvious open pages and tabs. Top Sites, Quick Website Searches, Search Engine Suggestions, Top Hits and others can create them.

To delete databases created by websites, go to that folder and drag its contents to the Trash. But those databases will return when loading the websites that create them. They are used to save login credentials and browsing history specific for that website.

Apr 1, 2018 7:41 AM in response to nhuser

I suggest you use the program created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. It will provide a snapshot of your system which we can analyze to possibly determine the cause of your problem. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Why is library/safari folder missing after 10.13.4 update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.