Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes purchased videos and movies will not play on iPad/phone when streamed from WD Passport wireless!

I have a WD passport wireless and am going to Europe for a month. I wanted to take some music and movies with me, mainly for when I am out of wifi (plane and boat). Sadly enough this seems to have become a true pain project, because I don't get the content to play on test runs. It involves movies and series I purchased through itunes, so I think I should have a choice of where and when I want to watch... Do I need an extra app(s) on my iphone and ipad? I don't want to download too much on my devices because I will need all the space I can have on both iphone and pad for photographs. I thought getting an external wireless drive that creates its own wifi was going to be the solution for me... The wireless passport creates its own wifi system, and has plenty of room for movies and music... But it defies the promises it makes when buying it in order to watch content when unhooked from home or other wifi's... Any insights on this? What apps can tackle this very annoying problem? Especially since apple makes it a drag to get more storage on phone and ipads... All I want to do is streaming video from passport to phone or ipad while in transit and out of reach of wifi...

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 10.2.1

Posted on Apr 3, 2018 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2018 6:21 PM

Demo is correct on this matter.

Apple coded the ability to stream iTunes purchased TV/Movie content out of iOS sometime at some version of iOS 8.

I discovered this feature omission in iOS 9 when I started inquiring about this.

This was an undocumented and workaround feature, from iOS 5 to the last iOS 7 update, to be able to stream iTunes purchased movie/TV content remotely from an external storage device, but Apple closed down, coded out this ability/workaround since, and it seems that Apple is not going to restore this ability anytime soon!

There is no way to do this any longer!

There is NOTHING you can do to get this to work!

This ability is gone!

Plus, with mobile, portable, WiFi hard drives and mobile flash drives, you are forced to use a drive maker's app to access these drives and the drive app is not capable of wirelessly streaming purchased iTunes TV/ Movie content as Apple's own DRMs have been preventing this, too!

The remote streaming ability was accessed through a workaround that allowed streaming of purchased iTunes movie/TV content though the iOS Safari web browser.

Apple closed up, coded out this workaround out of Safari during an early iOS 8 update, forever preventing protected, BUT PURCHASED, iTunes movie/TV from ever being streamed from a remote storage device.

Android devices do not have this limitation to be able to stream the same iTunes purchased content to their devices from a wireless WiFi remote storage device.

The only thing you can do is transfer movies from the drive to your iPad to watch the movies off of your iPad, now!

The wireless drive is just a storage vessel, now and not an external streaming device.

I have resorted to stop purchasing any more iTunes movie/TV content and going back to purchasing physical muliti format discs of movies/tv show and creating my own digital copies of DVDs that I can use with both my Seagate Wireless portable drives and wireless and lightning connected mobile, portable USB flash memory drives.

I can now directly stream all of my movie/TV content, once again, from external storage devices.

I still own the first generation iPad that still has iOS 5.1.1 that still has this capability. So, I can still stream movies from my Seagate Wireless hard drive to my 2010 iPad 1, but this is my only iPad that still can do this.

If you want Apple to restore this external streaming workaround feature/ability, send feedback here.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Good Luck!

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2018 6:21 PM in response to Catherine Lucas

Demo is correct on this matter.

Apple coded the ability to stream iTunes purchased TV/Movie content out of iOS sometime at some version of iOS 8.

I discovered this feature omission in iOS 9 when I started inquiring about this.

This was an undocumented and workaround feature, from iOS 5 to the last iOS 7 update, to be able to stream iTunes purchased movie/TV content remotely from an external storage device, but Apple closed down, coded out this ability/workaround since, and it seems that Apple is not going to restore this ability anytime soon!

There is no way to do this any longer!

There is NOTHING you can do to get this to work!

This ability is gone!

Plus, with mobile, portable, WiFi hard drives and mobile flash drives, you are forced to use a drive maker's app to access these drives and the drive app is not capable of wirelessly streaming purchased iTunes TV/ Movie content as Apple's own DRMs have been preventing this, too!

The remote streaming ability was accessed through a workaround that allowed streaming of purchased iTunes movie/TV content though the iOS Safari web browser.

Apple closed up, coded out this workaround out of Safari during an early iOS 8 update, forever preventing protected, BUT PURCHASED, iTunes movie/TV from ever being streamed from a remote storage device.

Android devices do not have this limitation to be able to stream the same iTunes purchased content to their devices from a wireless WiFi remote storage device.

The only thing you can do is transfer movies from the drive to your iPad to watch the movies off of your iPad, now!

The wireless drive is just a storage vessel, now and not an external streaming device.

I have resorted to stop purchasing any more iTunes movie/TV content and going back to purchasing physical muliti format discs of movies/tv show and creating my own digital copies of DVDs that I can use with both my Seagate Wireless portable drives and wireless and lightning connected mobile, portable USB flash memory drives.

I can now directly stream all of my movie/TV content, once again, from external storage devices.

I still own the first generation iPad that still has iOS 5.1.1 that still has this capability. So, I can still stream movies from my Seagate Wireless hard drive to my 2010 iPad 1, but this is my only iPad that still can do this.

If you want Apple to restore this external streaming workaround feature/ability, send feedback here.

iPad Feedback

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Good Luck!

Apr 3, 2018 6:24 PM in response to MichelPM

Thank you so much Michel. It is a rotten thing, I don't need that feature that much, but when traveling it comes in handy. I wanted to keep all my storage on phone and ipad for photo's. At least now I know, and I will send feedback to Apple on the link you provided. People might more and more consider to get away from apple as their rules are becoming so strict and off the point. They want us to go wireless and rely on their cloud, not seeing that if there is no wifi, you can't get to your cloud! Thanks for your well informed reply. Now I know what is going on... Thanks!

iTunes purchased videos and movies will not play on iPad/phone when streamed from WD Passport wireless!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.