Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a mid 2010 imac 21.5 inch with an upgraded i7-860s processor run 32 GB of RAM?

Can a mid 2010 imac 21.5 inch with an upgraded i7-860s processor run 32 GB of RAM? There is a lot of conflicting information about this on the internet and in apple discussions. Any info would be much appreciated.

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 3:11 AM

15 replies

Apr 5, 2018 12:19 PM in response to chriskleinknecht

Here are other pertinent discussions. The answer to this question has been marked as "Solved" a few times in the community, but the answer is unclear to someone seeking it through the current documentation available.

Re: iMac Mid 2010 i3 can carry on 32GB Ram in 1600Mhz?

I'd like to uprgade the RAM on my 4GB on my Mid 2010 iMac. It has an intel i3 processor running at 3.06GHz. Is it suppor…

What is the max possible memory in imac11,2

Can the Late 2009 27" iMac handle 32GB of RAM? | MacRumors Forums

Apr 6, 2018 12:08 AM in response to chriskleinknecht

chriskleinknecht wrote:

Can a mid 2010 imac 21.5 inch with an upgraded i7-860s processor run 32 GB of RAM? There is a lot of conflicting information about this on the internet and in apple discussions. Any info would be much appreciated.

There are some differences between the 21.5" and 27" 2010 iMacs, the motherboard of the 27" has an extra internal SATA port for an additional optional SSD drive. The memory limitation might not be due only to the processor, but the motherboard's ability to transfer data between the CPU and RAM. Can you clarify that the 21.5" iMac you mentioned has already been upgraded to an i7, or is this a hypothetical CPU upgrade you are talking about, if you discover that you can increase the RAM limit as a result of this hypothetical (though maybe impossible) CPU upgrade?

You may find that some info about the 27" model is not going to be relevant to the 21.5" models. Another feature unique to the 2010 27" models is Target Display mode, for example. If you have already performed the CPU upgrade in the 21.5" iMac, then your experience has surpassed most of the community here. I don't think trying out the increased max RAM in the upgraded CPU iMac will hurt anything other than your wallet, check return policies before purchasing RAM, and buy from OWC. It may work, it might not, it may boot but only be able to address the max RAM as originally specfied. I guess you are exploring new territory here. Good luck. I have both a 21.5" and a 27" 2010 iMac and would be very interested in the results of your CPU and RAM upgrade experiences in the 21.5". Thanks for posing the question here.

You might try to contact the author of that iFixIt article, they may know more info about if the CPU upgrade applies to only the 27" or not.

Can a mid 2010 imac 21.5 inch with an upgraded i7-860s processor run 32 GB of RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.