Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail won't read or create sub-folders

I read mail from an IMAP server: a Synology machine (DSM 6) running Dovecot and using Maildir format. (I was using mbox format on a different server, but recently switched to Maildir on the Synology box.)

Now I am unable to view the contents of subfolders in MacOS Mail.app. If I create a new subfolder on the server directly -- e.g., create a mail directory called .Foo.Bar, filled with emails -- I will see the folder Foo with the mailbox Bar in it in Mac Mail. But, I will not be able to see any of the mail in the mailbox with the app; it appears empty. Nor can I copy mail into that mailbox.

In contrast, I have no trouble seeing the contents of the very same subfolder in the *iOS* Mail app, or with other mail clients. The problem is only in the Mac Mail app.

Similarly, I am not able to create subfolders with the Mac Mail app.

Is this a fundamental limitation of the Mac Mail app -- doesn't play nice with Maildir subfolders?

It would be a drag to flatten out the hierarchy of my mail just for this one mail client!

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Apr 5, 2018 5:54 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 8, 2018 12:54 PM in response to blcmac

This write-up suggests that Mac Mail does not use the "." hierarchy separator:

http://programerror.com/2013/03/dovecot-imap-maildir-and-mailbox-subfolders/

I cannot though readily change the mail server to use the "/" hierarchy separator. And, the "." separator is common for Maildir IMAP servers, should be supported by all clients.

Is there a way to configure Mac Mail to use the "." hierarchy separator?

Mac Mail won't read or create sub-folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.