Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Open dialog box switches away from application

My install of macOS Sierra on a late 2015 27" iMac switches away from the current application whenever an open file dialog box is used. Has anyone else here ever had this issue? If so, how did you fix it?

IMAC (RETINA 5K, 27-INCH, LATE 2015), iOS 11.2.6, 32 GB RAM

Posted on Apr 6, 2018 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2018 12:42 PM

That is how it is supposed to work. Any dialog box has a higher screen status (set by the developer) than the underlying application. Until you service and dismiss the dialog, your access to the parent application is unavailable.

This is true in El Capitan 10.11.6, and High Sierra 10.13.4 — both systems up and running in front of me.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2018 12:42 PM in response to Photoshop Prof

That is how it is supposed to work. Any dialog box has a higher screen status (set by the developer) than the underlying application. Until you service and dismiss the dialog, your access to the parent application is unavailable.

This is true in El Capitan 10.11.6, and High Sierra 10.13.4 — both systems up and running in front of me.

Apr 6, 2018 12:46 PM in response to VikingOSX

Sorry, I wasn't more clear. The computer switches away from the application, including the open file dialog box.

Example: If I'm in Photoshop and choose "Open File", the open file window does open, but at that same moment the computer switches to the last open application (the one open before Photoshop). I then have to switch back to Photoshop to choose files to open.

Apr 6, 2018 1:19 PM in response to Photoshop Prof

At the risk of violating the least surprise law, that switching away to another application from an open file panel in Photoshop should not occur, unless your mouse pointer accidentally drifted onto another application window, and you clicked the mouse —still believing that you were in Photoshop. That's human enough.

Take a look at the System Preferences : Mission Control panel. In the bottom half of that panel, have you changed any first column settings, or added any second column changes to this panel that may be contributing to your results?

Using any Wacom input devices?

Apr 6, 2018 1:24 PM in response to VikingOSX

That fixed it. Thank you.

I unchecked "Automatically rearrange Spaces based on most recent use" and "When switching to an application, switch to a Space with open windows for the application".

I also got rid of a number of old unused applications right before that, including Wacom's applications. So that may be what fixed it. I've dropped using Wacom devices and switched to an iPad Pro using Astropad connected to my Mac to do detailed Photoshop work.

Open dialog box switches away from application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.