Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 6S maximum charging current

What is the maximum charging current draw of an iphone 6S at it's lowest battery level?

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Apr 7, 2018 5:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2018 8:47 AM

fcolao wrote:

What is the maximum charging current draw of an iphone 6S at it's lowest battery level?

This test was for an iPhone X, but the way that it works is pretty similar for an iPhone 6s if you ignore the stuff on wireless charging and fast charging. And as the phone approaches maybe 70-80% the charging rate will always drop to protect the battery from overheating no matter what power source you use.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/iphone-x-fast-charging-speeds-compared/

USB-A wired charging is supposed to top off at 2100 mA through a power adapter or through a Mac with USB 3 ports. I don't recall how far back, but definitely the 6s should be covered. I let my wife use one of the 10W power adapters that came with my iPad Mini, and she was remarking how much faster it seemed to charge. The 12W power adapter can provide a little bit more than an iPhone will take in (10.5W), but the iPhone sets the limit.

This shows the limit for an iPhone connected to a Mac's USB port:

Powering peripherals through USB - Apple Support

User uploaded file

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2018 8:47 AM in response to fcolao

fcolao wrote:

This test was for an iPhone X, but the way that it works is pretty similar for an iPhone 6s if you ignore the stuff on wireless charging and fast charging. And as the phone approaches maybe 70-80% the charging rate will always drop to protect the battery from overheating no matter what power source you use.

https://www.macrumors.com/guide/iphone-x-fast-charging-speeds-compared/

USB-A wired charging is supposed to top off at 2100 mA through a power adapter or through a Mac with USB 3 ports. I don't recall how far back, but definitely the 6s should be covered. I let my wife use one of the 10W power adapters that came with my iPad Mini, and she was remarking how much faster it seemed to charge. The 12W power adapter can provide a little bit more than an iPhone will take in (10.5W), but the iPhone sets the limit.

This shows the limit for an iPhone connected to a Mac's USB port:

Powering peripherals through USB - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Apr 8, 2018 9:41 AM in response to fcolao

fcolao wrote:

So a 2.5a charger will allow maximum charging rates. Excellent, thanks again.

An iPhone should accept 2.1A from that. There are a lot of power adapters that provide exactly 2.1A because a lot of portable devices max out on USB-A at that current.

It's just a regulated voltage supply though. The power adapter could max out at 1000A and it would be perfectly safe to use with an iPhone.

Iphone 6S maximum charging current

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.