Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

64gb or 256gb iPad? Is it enough?

Hi! I am thinking about getting an iPad Pro 10.5. I want to ask if I'd live enough with 64GB or do I have to take it to the max with 256gb or 512gb. I already get to finish my 32gb storage with 993 pictures and 379 videos with 93 applications and I have 2gb left. Do you think 64GB is enough? For your information, I'm using my iPad Pro for a few games, few video editing and photo editing, and will be drawing with the Pencil. Feel free to ask me questions for a proper suggestion 🙂

iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 11.3, Storage

Posted on Apr 8, 2018 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2018 5:42 PM

If you are like me, if you tend to use the storage you are given, I would just go for it a get the 256 GBs storage iPad.

You will retain enough storage for quite awhile, that way, without worrying about running out of space too soon!

You should never completely fill up ANY computer or computing device.

iDevices need to maintain, at least, 3 GBs, OR GREATER, of free data storage space, at all times!

A 32 GBs iDevice has a practical free data storage space amount of 24-25 GBs.

A 64 GBs iPad only has a practical free data storage space of 53-54 GBs, or so.

A 256 GBs storage iPad will have approx. 242-244 GBs of usable free data storage space.

I have a 128 GBs iPad Pro (approx. 114-116 GBs of usable free data storage space), with approx. 32 GBs of freedata storage space left after about 2-1/2 years.

So, the decisions are up to you!

Good Luck!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2018 5:42 PM in response to hansa14

If you are like me, if you tend to use the storage you are given, I would just go for it a get the 256 GBs storage iPad.

You will retain enough storage for quite awhile, that way, without worrying about running out of space too soon!

You should never completely fill up ANY computer or computing device.

iDevices need to maintain, at least, 3 GBs, OR GREATER, of free data storage space, at all times!

A 32 GBs iDevice has a practical free data storage space amount of 24-25 GBs.

A 64 GBs iPad only has a practical free data storage space of 53-54 GBs, or so.

A 256 GBs storage iPad will have approx. 242-244 GBs of usable free data storage space.

I have a 128 GBs iPad Pro (approx. 114-116 GBs of usable free data storage space), with approx. 32 GBs of freedata storage space left after about 2-1/2 years.

So, the decisions are up to you!

Good Luck!

Apr 8, 2018 12:00 PM in response to hansa14

How fast have you collected 32gig of stuff? Assuming the some rate of "stuff" growth, when will you exceed the 64g size?

How much time do you like spending trimming you storage? I won't worry about the pictures, but videos can add up? You have a lot of vids. The 256gig should give you worry free computing.

Please keep good backups.

This is controversial around these parts, but I recommend you get your photos out of the Apple ecosystem and store them as one photo per file on multiple external storage devices. In an email with LoC, they do not have data on the reliability of usb memory sticks. From my reading usb memory sticks optimize storage space at the cost of reliability. For long term storage, don't rely on usb memory sticks. Apple seems to be saying do not store photos on external ssd drives. One device should be off site. Using a cloud service is fine. Remember a lot of cloud services are sync services. That is should the file be deleted on the local device, the photo will be deleted in the cloud. For this reason, I never install the cloud service software on my computer. I use only file upload. For those who complain, my assessment is that the apple Eco-system doesn't match Library of Congress's requirements for digital archiving.

informative video:
http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/multimedia/videos/personalarchiving-photos.ht ml

printed version
http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/personalarchiving/photos.html

General information on digital preservation:
http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/personalarchiving/

R

Apr 8, 2018 11:38 AM in response to hansa14

If you have a large collection of content or frequently download apps, games, movies, TV shows, or music that you like to keep on your device, it’s a good idea to consider an iPad with at least 64 GB.

Given the fact that 64 GB doubles your current storage capacity, I'm pretty sure that it will be enough.

At least for now. You may add more content to your iPad over time, but that may not affect your storage needs if you use online storage options like iCloud.

I would go with the 64 GB option.

64gb or 256gb iPad? Is it enough?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.