📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple debuts iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable wifi password sharing on iPhones

i cant find any good documentation to disable the feature in ios 11 to stop sharing wifi passwords. lots of articles on how to deal with it on the wireless network, but apple introduced this, not the wifi networks. i would like to disable it without turning off bluetooth.

thanks

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Apr 8, 2018 11:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2018 12:04 PM

jedhelmers wrote:

Keep your parenting advice to yourself. And yes, I know what a MAC address is. I'm looking for an Off-switch.

I'm sorry but you don't get to decide how I answer questions here. While we're at it, the fact that you refer to your children as "little pieces of crap" may explain why they don't listen to you.

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 15, 2018 12:04 PM in response to jedhelmers

jedhelmers wrote:

Keep your parenting advice to yourself. And yes, I know what a MAC address is. I'm looking for an Off-switch.

I'm sorry but you don't get to decide how I answer questions here. While we're at it, the fact that you refer to your children as "little pieces of crap" may explain why they don't listen to you.

May 1, 2018 6:59 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

The beauty of typing the password into someone else's phone is that there was a middle level of trust between people to whom you'd give the password and people you wouldn't let on your network. It seems that Apple blew that to bits, unless there is a workaround.

Does the now deprecated Apple AirPort Extreme have the ability to create a second network?

May 21, 2018 9:49 AM in response to tcsmith_1

I would love to be able to disable this feature as well. We're a school district where we don't have a BYOD network for students and we don't allow students to authenticate with their Active Directory username and password on the main wireless network - students have to have a district provided device in order to be on the main wireless network. Students cannot be on our guest network as the guest network is not CIPA compliant. Because of this iOS feature, students have figured out that they basically "transfer" the wireless authentication settings from a district iPad to their iPhones, so now students are paying less attention in class because they can use their phones on the wireless network instead of having to use their data plan (and a lot of our schools get horrible cell service inside the buildings) and we've seen a dramatic increase in the number of wireless devices on our network. Our iPads use a generic Active Directory username and password (802.1x) so this iOS "feature" is not limited to pre-shared keys. We would love to be able to disable this wifi password sharing feature on our district devices, or if Apple could modify this feature so that the owner of the original device could set up a password that had to be inputted on the second device in order for the wifi password to be shared (might defeat the purpose of the feature somewhat but something needs to be done for businesses and school districts that use Apple devices and don't want situations like ours to happen).

Jun 15, 2018 8:35 AM in response to jedhelmers

Well, it sounds like it's time to take away the devices until your children start respecting your authority.

You can also look into setting up MAC filtering on your router. A MAC ID is a unique hardware ID for each device. Consult the documentation for your router or contact your internet service provider. Some routers or internet services also offer other types of parental controls.

How to disable wifi password sharing on iPhones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.