Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will upgrading my OS fix the following problem...

The problem: I want to log into a WPA2-encrypted wireless network. I have a 1ghz G4 powerbook with an older airport card that runs at B speeds only, which is fine. Speed isn't the issue. It's the WPA2 that's an issue. I'm running 10.3.9 and will happily upgrade to whatever the next version is that's coming out soon if I can expect WPA2 support.

My husband is running 10.4.something and he is able to use our WPA2-encrypted network, but he's got a newer powerbook with a newer airport card, so I don't know if it's the hardware or the software that matters.

1ghz powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Jan 29, 2007 12:45 PM

6 replies

Jan 30, 2007 5:13 AM in response to joeuu

I was hoping to avoid buying a newer card because I don't want anything in the pcmcia slot. If I could upgrade the airport card itself, that would be fine, but I don't think I can.

It's sad, really. This is the one and only thing that's starting to become a problem with this powerbook. I have no need to upgrade the machine in any other way. It works and satisfies my needs perfectly fine in every other way except that I really want WPA2/AES. Does anyone know of any third party software that could do what I want? I didn't think this would be hardware dependent as I was recently able to flash a bridge so that it would support WPA2 (although I think it was originally able to support WPA, if that matters at all).

If I have to buy an expansion card, then I will, but if I can go with a software solution, I would much prefer that.

will upgrading my OS fix the following problem...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.