Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

will upgrading my OS fix the following problem...

779 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2007 9:21 AM by Vicky Bilaniuk RSS
Vicky Bilaniuk Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 29, 2007 12:45 PM
The problem: I want to log into a WPA2-encrypted wireless network. I have a 1ghz G4 powerbook with an older airport card that runs at B speeds only, which is fine. Speed isn't the issue. It's the WPA2 that's an issue. I'm running 10.3.9 and will happily upgrade to whatever the next version is that's coming out soon if I can expect WPA2 support.

My husband is running 10.4.something and he is able to use our WPA2-encrypted network, but he's got a newer powerbook with a newer airport card, so I don't know if it's the hardware or the software that matters.
1ghz powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.3.9)
  • BGreg Level 6 Level 6 (17,500 points)
    I don't know when WPA support was introduced, however I believe that WPA2 uses AES encryption, which was introduced at 10.4.2. See this Apple note: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301722 .
    PB G4 1.67ghz 2gb; mini G4 1.5ghz 1gb, Mac OS X (10.4.8)
  • Donald Morgan Level 6 Level 6 (12,415 points)
    Vicky, I think you will find with the Original Airport Card you will only be able to use WEP.
    Don
    iMac G3 350 Blueberry 9.2 & Power Book G4. 17" OS X 10.3.9 AEBS w/Iomega Zip, Mac OS X (10.3.9)
  • joeuu Level 5 Level 5 (5,075 points)
    Hi Vicky,

Maybe I can help break the tie by citing the article BGreg points to, which states:
    Improves WPA2 wireless encryption support for AirPort Extreme cards.

The newer card is not that expensive if you don't mind.

Joe
    15 pb 1.25ghz 2gb RAM 80gb Superdrive; 20 iMac 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM; BlackBook 2gB, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Newton in the closet. SE 30 in the Garage.
  • joeuu Level 5 Level 5 (5,075 points)
    This would not be the kind of card you are thinking of. The airport extreme card would fit inside your battery bay, replacing the airport card that is already there.

Edit: Sorry Vicky, looks like the cards are not interchangeable.

Joe
    15 pb 1.25ghz 2gb RAM 80gb Superdrive; 20 iMac 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM; BlackBook 2gB, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Newton in the closet. SE 30 in the Garage.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.