Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Securely erase/overwrite data in iOS

I am trying to implement an iOS secure data erase/overwrite solution for my company. However, all of the secure data deletion applications I have found require the phone to be plugged into a computer via USB. Is there a solution out there, that anyone knows of, that can be accessed and executed remotely, in the event of a lost/stolen device?

Please note that I am not talking about a typical wipe/factory reset. I am talking about a DoD 7 pass level secure data overwrite. Something that renders the data completely unrecoverable even by data recovery tools.

Application Requirements:

DoD level 7 pass secure overwrite

Remote execution of secure overwrite (Whether through vendor specific browser console or an MDM solution)

Any assistance or advice anyone can give is appreciated. Thank you.

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Apr 10, 2018 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2018 12:17 PM

There is really no need. so long as the device had a passcode, the data on it is encrypted. After a standard erase, it would be impossible to reconstruct the data using pretty much any method you'll come across.

6 replies

Securely erase/overwrite data in iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.