Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

epson double sided printed not available on Mac Apps

Recently (not sue of it is an Epson or Mac issue) I can no longer print double sided to my Epson ET-3750 printer when using mac apps (pages, safari). The option is there when using other apps (word). I spent an hour on the phone with Epson and they said it is a problem that the mac software is not accessing the Epson driver.

I have this problem with all of my Macs.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Apr 10, 2018 6:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2018 8:20 PM

Did you set up that printer specifically as an AirPrint printer? If not, please do that.

Presumably, the hour you spent on the phone with Epson referred you to the following passage from The option for 2-Sided Printing (Windows) or Two-Sided Printing Settings (Mac) is gray or not available. What should I do?

Make sure you use a paper type and size that supports this feature. Automatic double-sided printing is only available if you select plain paper and these paper sizes in the printer software:

• Letter (8.5 x 11 inches [216 x 279 mm])
  • Legal (8.5 x 14 inches [216 x 357 mm])
  • A4 (8.3 x 11.7 inches [210 x 297 mm])

Note: Automatic double-sided printing is not supported on glossy, thick, and certain matte papers.

If that doesn't help, one can only assume it's due to some unexplained interaction between that printer, its driver, macOS, or all three.

Since Epson places the blame on Apple, you could try contacting them, but their own Support document already says to contact the printer's manufacturer, leaving them pointing fingers at each other, and you out in the cold.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2018 8:20 PM in response to rkstiens

Did you set up that printer specifically as an AirPrint printer? If not, please do that.

Presumably, the hour you spent on the phone with Epson referred you to the following passage from The option for 2-Sided Printing (Windows) or Two-Sided Printing Settings (Mac) is gray or not available. What should I do?

Make sure you use a paper type and size that supports this feature. Automatic double-sided printing is only available if you select plain paper and these paper sizes in the printer software:

• Letter (8.5 x 11 inches [216 x 279 mm])
  • Legal (8.5 x 14 inches [216 x 357 mm])
  • A4 (8.3 x 11.7 inches [210 x 297 mm])

Note: Automatic double-sided printing is not supported on glossy, thick, and certain matte papers.

If that doesn't help, one can only assume it's due to some unexplained interaction between that printer, its driver, macOS, or all three.

Since Epson places the blame on Apple, you could try contacting them, but their own Support document already says to contact the printer's manufacturer, leaving them pointing fingers at each other, and you out in the cold.

Apr 10, 2018 7:45 PM in response to rkstiens

Refer to Get help resolving printer issues on your Mac.

There is nothing particular about macOS or those apps that should prevent that print driver feature from working. I don't happen to have that model printer but two-sided printing works as it always has (Safari example below):

User uploaded file

If all else fails proceed with "Reset the printing system" followed by "Remove printer drivers" followed by adding the printer again as described in Add or remove a printer on Mac - Apple Support.

epson double sided printed not available on Mac Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.