Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD unable to connect

I'm trying to use Apple Remote Desktop (v3.9) running on Mac OS 10.12.6. to connect to a MacPro running 10.11.6, but it never connects.

On the MacPro in console as soon as I try to establish a connection I see a bunch of repeating messages start occuring:

com.apple.xpc.launchd: (com.apple.screensharing.agent) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 1 seconds.

They stop when I disable Remote management in Sharing preferences. I can SSH into the computer remotely.

I have tried disabling and re-enabling Remote Mangement in the Sharing Preferences but it does not resolve the problem.

I remote access several dozen other computers on a daily basis with the same build as the MacPro. There is no discernable difference between them. ARD is showing the device as accessible and I can use other functions in the Manage and Interact ARD menu (Chat, restart, sleep, wake, etc.)

Any ideas?

Posted on Apr 11, 2018 9:20 AM

6 replies

May 3, 2018 3:05 PM in response to jaydisc

Jaydisc,

Thanks for that great suggestion!

I have a client that was having the same issue, saw the similar log entries repeating over and over once 'remote management' check box was ticked ON :

{ com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.screensharing.agent) Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 1 seconds. }

So, amongst other things, I did some internet searching, found your suggestion, and sure enough, reinstalling the ARD Client 3.9.3 did the trick, now it's working all fine again. Quick & Easy & Excellent solution!

Thanks,

Daniel F.***

==========================================================================
MacMind
Certified Member of the Apple Consultants Network Apple Certified (ACHDS)
Microsoft Office for Mac Accredited Support Professional, 2015
E-mail : ****
Office : ****
Mobile : ****
Web : ****
Twitter : ****
==========================================================================

[Personal Information Edited by Host]

Jun 8, 2018 1:05 AM in response to Antonio Rocco

Having examined the system.log and install.log on the remote Mac - it was clear that the issue commenced right after the OS X Update was completed. From that point on the ARD service is trying to commence but failing to start.... i.e

error message:

Jun 6 12:42:00 DSL-HYB-SVR-001 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.screensharing.agent): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 1 seconds.

what we did:

download the current version ARD (remotedesktopclient3.9.3.dmg) client software on the local mac ( the so called client software is actually the service, for remote installation)

extract .pkg file from the .dmg file, on a local mac

scp the .pkg file to the remote mac:

$ scp RemoteDesktopClient.pkg 193.234.232.212:

then install the file on the remote machine:

sudo installer -package ./RemoteDesktopClient.pkg -target /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD

then restart the services on the remote machine:

/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/ki ckstart -deactivate

/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/ki ckstart -activate

The first thing we learned doing this was that the remote mac can install a package but not a dmg disc image and we did't know how to open the dmg to make the package available remotely.

However, extracting the package locally and then uploading it to the remote mac enabled the installer on the remote mac to run as expected. Yes, ok obvious when you realise this of course.

Secondly remembering that OS X terminal commands are apparently case sensitive.

Many thanks to Tom Yates of http://gatekeeper.ltd.uk/ whose command of the linux command line and general brilliance enabled him to successfully climb into the Apple Garden and get a result for us - so our remote box is now back on vnc.

Cheers, Nick

Jul 4, 2018 2:06 PM in response to Nick Lightbody

I am experiencing the same issue. I was unable to install the ARD 3.9.3 client:

"installer: A newer version of this package is already installed."

The client and server are both running High Sierra 10.13.5. I'm running the latest ARD server 3.9 locally.

Only a full reboot of the client seems to get things working again.

ARD unable to connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.