Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen sharing problems

I have a network of 6 Macs, and I have been updating them one at time, from Sierra 10.12.6 to High Sierra 10.13.4.

I have a Mac Mini that I use as a backup server and I run it headless, without a keyboard and monitor.

So to administer that Mac, I use Screen Sharing.

When I go to use Screen Sharing on a MacBook Pro to look at the Mac Mini, Screen Sharing will not work.

Both machines are running 10.13.4.

I can use 2 other computers, (one on Sierra, and the other on High Sierra) and Screen Sharing to the Mini works fine.

I am trying to figure out why the MacBook Pro won't see the other screen.

Sharing prefs are set up on the Mini.

The network allows the MacBook Pro to access all of the hard drives on the Mini, so file sharing is working.

I have restarted the two computers a few times.

Originally I was using a standard user account and not a administrator account to try to see the other computer.

I made both accounts, admin. accounts, and it's still not working.

I would appreciate any advice on how to get Screen Sharing to work.

Posted on Apr 12, 2018 3:29 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Apr 14, 2018 12:16 PM in response to Gregory Benson

The best solution to my problem has been to add a HDMI headless emulator. You can buy one on Amazon for about $8.

I am using Compulab's Fit Headless. It's a small dongle that imitates a display being plugged in.

Once I installed this, I went into Display Prefs on the Mac Mini and set the virtual display to 1080p.

Now screen sharing from my MacBook Pro to the Mac Mini works much better.

Screen sharing problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.