Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is there no Input Monitoring button (in the track header) for a software instrument?

Why is there no Input Monitoring button (in the track header) for a software instrument?

I am going to use a MIDI keyboard to play Picked Bass. I expected that I would be able to decide whether to monitor as I play or not.

Mail-OTHER, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Apr 12, 2018 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2018 5:18 AM

For a midi instrument you do not record the sound, but the instructions how to synthesize the sound, for example the velocity, the attack, or modulation of the notes you play.

GarageBand records the velocity or the attack or the mod wheel, if your keyboard has these controls. You can adjust the keyboard sensitivity in the Smart Controls for the track. This will control the velocity of the notes for the track.

User uploaded file

And you can adjust later the recorded values for the velocity or attack and other expressions in the midi draw area.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2018 5:18 AM in response to deanfromraymond

For a midi instrument you do not record the sound, but the instructions how to synthesize the sound, for example the velocity, the attack, or modulation of the notes you play.

GarageBand records the velocity or the attack or the mod wheel, if your keyboard has these controls. You can adjust the keyboard sensitivity in the Smart Controls for the track. This will control the velocity of the notes for the track.

User uploaded file

And you can adjust later the recorded values for the velocity or attack and other expressions in the midi draw area.

Apr 12, 2018 7:19 PM in response to deanfromraymond

deanfromraymond wrote:

when using GB, monitoring is always on for software instruments.

why? the developers decided so, but playing, for instance, a silent piano wouldn't likely be useful. playing a MIDI instrument you couldn't hear would be a bit confusing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.