Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

applying custom labels to contacts

I have a iphone 6s and find that I can't apply custom labels to certain contacts within my list of contact. Can anyone help as apple tech don't seem to not know!

iPhone 6s, iOS 10.2

Posted on Apr 19, 2018 3:31 AM

6 replies

Apr 19, 2018 3:51 AM in response to andymountainman

Do you mean the labels where you customize e.g. ‘home’/‘work’/‘other’/etc. for some other description? Picking ‘other’ is not enough: you have to select Add Custom Label, or select from a previously used label below that.

Or do you mean adding fields? They do often not appear near the bottom, where you press ‘add field’, most appear near the top, where the name info is. The field will disappear again if left empty, when you exit Edit mode. Could that be it?

Apr 19, 2018 3:49 AM in response to andymountainman

Open Contacts app

Open the contact where you need to add a custom label

Tap Edit (top-right)

Tap on the existing label, then scroll down to Add Custom Label and write it.

Tap Done (top-right)

If you still can't do it, force restart your iP6s (Press and hold both the Home and the Power (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo. When it appears, release both buttons, wait for your iphone to restart.)

Repeat all the steps provided.

If your profile is OK, your iphone is not updated to the latest iOS version (11.3). We always suggest to run the most recent IOS also because of security patches that are included in almost every new version.

Regards

Giulio

Apr 20, 2018 8:11 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Hi Urquhart

I understand how to apply custom labels, however, I am experiencing problems when trying to save the new custom label. The phone will take the new custom label entry until I press 'Done' and then it reverts back to the original name and will not save the new label.

I have been in discussion with Val, who is based in the Apple Tech support office in Athens, and have gone through resetting up the phone as a new device to try and remove the corruption. We deleted all but my Icloud email account with planned to re-load them again, one at a time.

All was looking like it worked OK until I re-loaded my email accounts. I use Exchange, Micorsoft, Gmail and Icloud.

Was advised to set-up the email accounts one at a time and test for the problem again as I went along.

I first loaded my Exchange account and found the same fault occur again.

I hope to get a call back from Val next week but after spending 2 hours or more on the problem yesterday I am not sure he will have a solution.

Can you or anyone know of a solution to this problem?

regards

Andrew

Apr 20, 2018 8:37 AM in response to andymountainman

From you last post, as Idris suggested, the issue could be related to the Exchange account (settings? configuration? ActiveSync?). I don't use Exchange, so I'm not competent enough to offer you an appropriate explanation.

On my iP7, using Gmail and/or iCloud e-mail accounts, I can easily change / add custom labels on each contact I have.

Please keep us informed.

Thanks and regards

Giulio

applying custom labels to contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.