Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Other volumes taking up too much space

I tried to erase and reinstall macOS on my MacBook Pro. After erasing my startup disk, Disk Utility tells me that the other volumes are taking up 407.02 GB and that I have around 100 GB of free space left. I checked with Terminal using diskutil list, but I can't find a reason why the other volumes are taking up so much space. Here's what the command gave me:

-bash-3.2# diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *512.1 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_APFS Container disk2 511.9 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (disk image):

0: GUID_partition_scheme +2.1 GB disk1

1: Apple_HFS OS X Base System 2.0 GB disk1s1

/dev/disk2 (synthesized):

0: APFS Container Scheme - +511.9 GB disk2

Physical Store disk0s2

1: APFS Volume Macintosh HD 20.5 KB disk2s1

2: APFS Volume Preboot 42.1 MB disk2s2

3: APFS Volume Recovery 1.0 GB disk2s3

4: APFS Volume VM 2.1 GB disk2s4

/dev/disk3 (disk image):

0: untitled +5.2 MB disk3

/dev/disk4 (external, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk4

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk4s1

2: Apple_HFS Time Machine Backups 999.8 GB disk4s2

/dev/disk5 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk5

/dev/disk6 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk6

/dev/disk7 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk7

/dev/disk8 (disk image):

0: untitled +2.1 MB disk8

/dev/disk9 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk9

/dev/disk10 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk10

/dev/disk11 (disk image):

0: untitled +12.6 MB disk11

/dev/disk12 (disk image):

0: untitled +4.2 MB disk12

/dev/disk13 (disk image):

0: untitled +1.0 MB disk13

/dev/disk14 (disk image):

0: untitled +2.1 MB disk14

/dev/disk15 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk15

/dev/disk16 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk16

/dev/disk17 (disk image):

0: untitled +1.0 MB disk17

/dev/disk18 (disk image):

0: untitled +6.3 MB disk18

/dev/disk19 (disk image):

0: untitled +6.3 MB disk19

/dev/disk20 (disk image):

0: untitled +524.3 KB disk20

/dev/disk21 (disk image):

0: untitled +2.1 MB disk21

Is there a way to make it take up less space?

Message was edited by: justinrleung

MacBook Pro, null

Posted on Apr 19, 2018 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2018 10:37 PM

Hi Justin,

Thanks for posting the output of diskutil list. Unfortunately, the only odd thing that I can see is that the local Recovery partition is 2 GB large. Thankfully, the issue can easily be resolved by erasing the entire internal hard drive (not just your startup disk).

To do this, you'll need to boot Recovery Mode from the Internet. The reason why the local Recovery partition wouldn't work is because if you boot that, you can't erase it until you boot a different volume (or put your Mac in Target Disk Mode). However, running Recovery Mode from the Internet doesn't rely on your internal hard drive, which permits you to erase the entire drive. To do this:

1. Hold down Option-Command-R while you turn on or restart your Mac. If prompted, select a Wi-Fi network and continue. Depending on the speed of your Internet connection, this could take a while. (Note: If you imaged Recovery Mode onto a USB drive using these steps, you can boot from that drive instead if you wish to speed up the process.)

2. When the Utilities menu finally appears, open Disk Utility. Click on View, then choose Show All Devices. Eject any external drives that are connected to ensure additional safety (unless you're using a bootable USB; then don't disconnect that drive). Then, select the top level of the drive, and click Erase. Format as follows:

Name: Whatever you want, but the default name is Macintosh HD

Format: APFS

Scheme: GUID Partition Table

3. Once erasure is complete, quit Disk Utility. Then, select Install macOS. The installer should permit you to install macOS normally.

Hope this helps!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2018 10:37 PM in response to justinrleung

Hi Justin,

Thanks for posting the output of diskutil list. Unfortunately, the only odd thing that I can see is that the local Recovery partition is 2 GB large. Thankfully, the issue can easily be resolved by erasing the entire internal hard drive (not just your startup disk).

To do this, you'll need to boot Recovery Mode from the Internet. The reason why the local Recovery partition wouldn't work is because if you boot that, you can't erase it until you boot a different volume (or put your Mac in Target Disk Mode). However, running Recovery Mode from the Internet doesn't rely on your internal hard drive, which permits you to erase the entire drive. To do this:

1. Hold down Option-Command-R while you turn on or restart your Mac. If prompted, select a Wi-Fi network and continue. Depending on the speed of your Internet connection, this could take a while. (Note: If you imaged Recovery Mode onto a USB drive using these steps, you can boot from that drive instead if you wish to speed up the process.)

2. When the Utilities menu finally appears, open Disk Utility. Click on View, then choose Show All Devices. Eject any external drives that are connected to ensure additional safety (unless you're using a bootable USB; then don't disconnect that drive). Then, select the top level of the drive, and click Erase. Format as follows:

Name: Whatever you want, but the default name is Macintosh HD

Format: APFS

Scheme: GUID Partition Table

3. Once erasure is complete, quit Disk Utility. Then, select Install macOS. The installer should permit you to install macOS normally.

Hope this helps!

Other volumes taking up too much space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.