Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Caches in Safari in High Sierra

Safari in High Sierra stores many caches. Even if I empty caches, Safari stores a couple of dozen caches every time I go to a new webpage. It seems to me this is not good for security. Is there any way to avoid this, other than blocking all cookies (which many websites don't like)? An older version of Safari had an option in Security Settings that prevented all these caches, but this option has disappeared now.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

The only other thing I can think of to try is use Private Windows, but I'm not sure that will help. Also try using the Reader Mode when that is an option.

Safari 8 (Yosemite): Use Private Browsing windows

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Apr 21, 2018 5:36 AM in response to tkicinski In response to tkicinski

Use clear all history and website data see this article Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support in normal browsing mode , you can't stop caches and cookies to get saved , if you open safari preferences - privacy - managed website data click on remove all see this article Safari Privacy preferences on Mac - Apple Support

To avoid all this switch to private browsing mode permanently see this article Browse in private in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Also , if you enter in user library see this article macOS Sierra: Library folder

And find folder safari > in this if you delete contents of Databases and local storage into the trash , restart the Mac and empty the trash , the contents will again recreate and this is not a permanent solution and these entire safari contents along with data bases and local storage and other sub folders are deleted in the scenario when " there are major issues in safari otherwise not " , to view a website caches and cookies are ought to be saved and you can't avoid it , but only remove them .

The ones that you are mentioning in the question are due to favourites website if set in safari preferences > general > in home page it must be set as favourites see this article Set your homepage in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

User uploaded file

You can set as new private browsing window and set as home page in these three fields and set your desired search engine to set it properly .

User uploaded file

Apr 21, 2018 5:37 AM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

Hi Eric. Private browsing solved the problem.

The 3 articles you suggested yesterday were interesting. "The myth of the dangerous cookie" is certainly something I need to think about. The websites in my Preferences>Privacy>Manage Website Data have caches but no cookies. I'm nervous about them because there are so many (between 6 and 15) after only a few minutes of using the Internet, and several dozen after an hour or two. And they all have only caches. After the uproar about Facebook recently, i'm suspicious about what data they collect, and why, and where the data goes.

Thanks for your help.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Apr 19, 2018 5:19 PM in response to tkicinski In response to tkicinski

Safari caches are not affected one way or the other when it comes to security.

The best way to keep your Mac safe is to keep the macOS up to date and make sure Gatekeeper is enabled >. OS X: About Gatekeeper - Apple Support

Apr 19, 2018 5:19 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 19, 2018 5:20 PM in response to tkicinski In response to tkicinski

Cache files aren’t important or dangerous. They’re simply the same thing you’re looking at on a web site and has already been downloaded to your computer. This happens whether you’ve told Safari to store these files as cache data or not. If it didn’t pull the site HTML and images to your computer, every page on the Internet would be blank.

Apr 19, 2018 5:20 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 19, 2018 5:21 PM in response to tkicinski In response to tkicinski

Are you asking about caches or cookies? Are you asking about Safari/Preferences/Privacy/Website Data?

As the 2nd article points out, they are capable of regenerating after deletion with files that go to many parts of the system.

Safari/Browsers – can’t delete cookies

Evercookie

The myth of the dangerous cookie

Quit Safari.

In Finder go to Go menu and then Go to Folder.

Copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/Databases.

Delete the contents of the folder.

Launch Safari again and check if all is ok.

If that doesn’t work, copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage.

Delete the contents of the folder.

Then go to Safari/History and delete any entries for the related websites.

Test.

Apr 19, 2018 5:21 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 19, 2018 6:58 PM in response to Kurt Lang In response to Kurt Lang

Thanks, Kurt, for your reply. Maybe I should have explained further, that most of the websites that appear with caches (when I look in Safari/Preferences/Privacy/Website Data) are not ones I have ever visited (a few of them are as follows: adnxs.com, akamai.net, criteo.com, dianomi.com, taboola.com).

Apr 19, 2018 6:58 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 19, 2018 7:12 PM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

Thanks, Eric, for your reply. I'm asking about caches in Safari/Preferences/Privacy/Website Data. Most of the websites that appear with caches are not ones I have EVER visited (a few of them are as follows: adnxs.com, akamai.net, criteo.com, dianomi.com, taboola.com). Many of them reappear every time I load a new webpage from any website, and new ones appear also.

I will read the articles you suggested and follow the steps you suggested, tomorrow. Right now, it's bedtime here.

Apr 19, 2018 7:12 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 19, 2018 7:40 PM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

Thanks, Eric. That must be what's happening.

I upgraded to High Sierra a few days ago, and I'm surprised that so many more caches are created now, compared to the old Safari I had been using (which had an option that must have reduced the number). The new Safari doesn't have that option in Safari/Preferences/Privacy.

Apr 19, 2018 7:40 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 21, 2018 5:36 AM in response to tkicinski In response to tkicinski

Use clear all history and website data see this article Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support in normal browsing mode , you can't stop caches and cookies to get saved , if you open safari preferences - privacy - managed website data click on remove all see this article Safari Privacy preferences on Mac - Apple Support

To avoid all this switch to private browsing mode permanently see this article Browse in private in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Also , if you enter in user library see this article macOS Sierra: Library folder

And find folder safari > in this if you delete contents of Databases and local storage into the trash , restart the Mac and empty the trash , the contents will again recreate and this is not a permanent solution and these entire safari contents along with data bases and local storage and other sub folders are deleted in the scenario when " there are major issues in safari otherwise not " , to view a website caches and cookies are ought to be saved and you can't avoid it , but only remove them .

The ones that you are mentioning in the question are due to favourites website if set in safari preferences > general > in home page it must be set as favourites see this article Set your homepage in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

User uploaded file

You can set as new private browsing window and set as home page in these three fields and set your desired search engine to set it properly .

User uploaded file

Apr 21, 2018 5:36 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
Question marked as Solved

Apr 20, 2018 1:51 PM in response to tkicinski In response to tkicinski

The only other thing I can think of to try is use Private Windows, but I'm not sure that will help. Also try using the Reader Mode when that is an option.

Safari 8 (Yosemite): Use Private Browsing windows

Apr 20, 2018 1:51 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 20, 2018 2:06 PM in response to tygb In response to tygb

Hi tygb. Thanks for your reply. I have read all the articles you suggested, and tried each change.

For each attempt, I went on the Hotmail website (outlook.live.com), opened an email, waited 10 seconds, went to the Inbox, waited 10 seconds, and clicked Preferences>Privacy>Manage Website Data to see how many websites were present. Then clicked Develop>Empty caches and checked how many websites were still present. Typically, there were between about 6 and 15 fewer websites after emptying. The number varied even though I opened the same email each time. I also tried different emails, and the number varied from one email to another. Weird!

Here's what I found:

1. Clear browsing history: This cleared the history, but did nothing to suppress the creation of new caches.

2. Click Preferences>Privacy>Manage Website Data>Remove All: It did nothing to suppress the creation of new caches.

3. Private browsing: YES!! This solved the problem!!!

Thank you very much.

Apr 20, 2018 2:06 PM

Reply Helpful

Apr 21, 2018 5:37 AM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

Hi Eric. Private browsing solved the problem.

The 3 articles you suggested yesterday were interesting. "The myth of the dangerous cookie" is certainly something I need to think about. The websites in my Preferences>Privacy>Manage Website Data have caches but no cookies. I'm nervous about them because there are so many (between 6 and 15) after only a few minutes of using the Internet, and several dozen after an hour or two. And they all have only caches. After the uproar about Facebook recently, i'm suspicious about what data they collect, and why, and where the data goes.

Thanks for your help.

Apr 21, 2018 5:37 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
User profile for user: tkicinski

Question: Caches in Safari in High Sierra