Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ANNOYING TWO FACTOR AUTHENTICATION WARNING

I've read other posts without any real resolution to this topic. Does anyone truly know how to stop this message from popping up (other than turning on 2 factor authentication)? Apple, please know that not everyone wants this ridiculous feature nor the continual reminder to turn it on.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 11.3, null

Posted on Apr 19, 2018 10:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2018 12:58 PM

User uploaded file

This is what I get when I click continue and then I get this:

I've gone beyond this point before. It ends up turning on the authentication and having to reset my password (which really ***** because of so many devices). I don't see an option to decline.

14 replies

Apr 26, 2018 12:53 PM in response to HolyRolly

HolyRolly wrote:

Thanks, etresoft. Can you please direct me to the two-factor preference settings?

It is there in your screen shot. You have to click "Continue". Then, you can click on the radio button next to "Not now".

Sadly, you just have to be really careful with any Apple dialog these days. They are all designed to trick you into signing up for some new feature like two-factor authentication or iCloud Photos or updating to iOS 11. Always study all possible options. Look for a tiny, almost hidden "later" or "not now" button. It may be right under the "buy now" button or right at the bottom of the screen, far from the other options. It will never say "no" and it will always ask again.

And don't consider any of the advice I just gave you to be valid when Apple releases the next system update. Always wait for other people to try it first. They will report if there are any tricky options to be worried about. In the future, the "Continue" button might not give you a way to back out.

Apr 26, 2018 1:13 PM in response to HolyRolly

I think you have have accidentally clicked through at some point. There is no going back.

Now that I review your earlier posts, I think I was giving you the wrong advice the whole time. Those dialogs that you have clearly instruct you to "finish" setting up two-factor authentication.

I would like to think that I was just spouting off above when I said "there is no going back". But apparently, I was correct. Here are instructions from Apple about two-factor authentication: Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Jump down to the end, under "Can I turn off two-factor authentication after I’ve turned it on?". It says:

You can't turn off two-factor authentication for some accounts created in iOS 10.3 or macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and later. If you created your Apple ID in an earlier version of iOS or macOS, you can turn off two-factor authentication.

So, the question is, when did you create your Apple ID?

Apr 26, 2018 4:16 PM in response to HolyRolly

HolyRolly wrote:

My Apple ID was created years ago.

Last month, I DID accidentally turn on two-factor authentication following the prompts you see. I thought there would be a place to decline but it ended up setting it up. I then went in and shut it off but these messages appeared again...and again...and again...

Did you shut it off using the procedure described in Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support ?

You can only turn it off on Apple's web site. You can't do it from your devices.

ANNOYING TWO FACTOR AUTHENTICATION WARNING

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.