Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad support for asynchronous USB audio output?

I'm interested in using my iPad to provide digital audio to a hi-fi amplifier and was wondering whether it supports (and how to enable if so) asynchronous USB output.

To clarify: I'd like my iPad to play music in iTunes (e.g., lossless encoded), but output a digital audiostream to an offboard DAC. Many of these DACs (from companies like Naim, NAD, Marantz, SMSL, etc.) have a USB input that supports "asynchronous" data transfer. The idea is that rather than letting the iPad "push" audio data at its own pace, the DAC's clock can "pull" audio data at its pace. This means the audio timing can be governed by the DAC's audio-optimized master clock, rather than the iPad's (which is optimized for many different things).

It sounds (per https://developer.apple.com/library/content/technotes/tn2274/_index.html#//apple _ref/doc/uid/DTS40010116-CH1-TNTAG4_3 ) like Mac computers natively support this, but does that support extend to iPads (or iPhones)? And if so, which generations?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 19, 2018 7:46 PM

There are no replies.

iPad support for asynchronous USB audio output?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.