Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: 11.3.2 Security Update on 2011 MacBook Pro kills performance

I have down graded to Sierra 3 times and things run fast again, as soon as 11.3.2 is installed the CPU is throttled down to very low clock rate on cold boot, to get it to come back up to speed you have to go into full sleep and wake it up. Its noticeably a little slower but running faster again.

i.e. Cold boot from downgraded (to Sierra) pre update boots FAST!!! after the update it is like a 300 baud modem in 1972.
There is something wrong in the patch which doesn't wake older CPU's to uptick. This continues on in High Sierra, so to make your old 2011-2013 Macs run fast downgrade, although I wouldn't use the machine online.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Apr 19, 2018 9:51 PM in response to ozialien In response to ozialien

Forget this. Although the symptoms where from 10.13.1 it wasn't the cause. It appears after the patch some app invoked trimforce enable so I have to retest the scenario without that happening. Could be either. But I hear a lot of slowdown and Kernel going bizerk with 3rd party SSD Sata.

Apr 19, 2018 9:51 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: ozialien

Question: 11.3.2 Security Update on 2011 MacBook Pro kills performance