Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what apple product should I buy in which i can put a CD or DVD to put in my MacBook Pro

I am buying a MacBook Pro 13inches. But it does not have a CD or DVD port. Thus what additional apple product should I buy so that I can use it with my MacBook Pro.

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 1:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 3:38 AM

Depending on what ports are integrated inside the portable Mac, and their connection

type, you may be looking at several adapters; in addition to maybe an external dock.

• Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple

Apple USB SuperDrive lets you install software on your Mac and play ... Everything

you need in an optical drive. ... * MacBook Pro models with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ...

User uploaded filehttps://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD564LL/A/apple-usb

And then an adapter to use Apple USB SuperDrive so it may be convinced to work.

* MacBook Pro models with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports require a USB-C to USB

Adapter (sold separately) to use Apple USB SuperDrive.

Adapters for the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your ...

If the cable from your external display, hard drive, camera, or other device doesn't connect

to the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your iMac Pro, iMac, MacBook Pro, or

MacBook, you might need an adapter.

User uploaded filehttps://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207443

"The new MacBook Pro comes with two or four external ports, depending on the model you

pick. But those ports are only of one type: Thunderbolt 3, which is compatible with USB-C."

• MacBook Pro Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) Adapter guide | macworld {..08 March 2018..}

And then others in addition, for when or if you try adapting external monitors, peripheral

input devices, & so on. Apple Store or online has adapters and cables for new MacBooks.

• About Apple Thunderbolt cables and adapters - Apple Support

Check on the returns policy for adapters and cables. Some third party models

may be an option, but cannot tell which ones from who may be the best.

Note: even the charge/power cable is different for that model; it's not for data.

• Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook - Apple Support

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2018 3:38 AM in response to bhargavie

Depending on what ports are integrated inside the portable Mac, and their connection

type, you may be looking at several adapters; in addition to maybe an external dock.

• Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple

Apple USB SuperDrive lets you install software on your Mac and play ... Everything

you need in an optical drive. ... * MacBook Pro models with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ...

User uploaded filehttps://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD564LL/A/apple-usb

And then an adapter to use Apple USB SuperDrive so it may be convinced to work.

* MacBook Pro models with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports require a USB-C to USB

Adapter (sold separately) to use Apple USB SuperDrive.

Adapters for the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your ...

If the cable from your external display, hard drive, camera, or other device doesn't connect

to the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) or USB-C port on your iMac Pro, iMac, MacBook Pro, or

MacBook, you might need an adapter.

User uploaded filehttps://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207443

"The new MacBook Pro comes with two or four external ports, depending on the model you

pick. But those ports are only of one type: Thunderbolt 3, which is compatible with USB-C."

• MacBook Pro Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) Adapter guide | macworld {..08 March 2018..}

And then others in addition, for when or if you try adapting external monitors, peripheral

input devices, & so on. Apple Store or online has adapters and cables for new MacBooks.

• About Apple Thunderbolt cables and adapters - Apple Support

Check on the returns policy for adapters and cables. Some third party models

may be an option, but cannot tell which ones from who may be the best.

Note: even the charge/power cable is different for that model; it's not for data.

• Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook - Apple Support

User uploaded file

Apr 20, 2018 10:50 AM in response to bhargavie

To go even more extreme than dwb, the DVD reader you use does not even have to be directly connected, and does not have to be on a Mac. With a little Utility, you can share the DVD reader of many different types of computers attached to your home network:

Use the CD or DVD drive from another computer with your Mac - Apple Support,

Apr 20, 2018 8:13 AM in response to bhargavie

You don't have to purchase an Apple optical reader - you can purchase any third party USB CD/DVD reader/writer. I'm not a big fan of the Apple SuperDrive - slot loaders seem to be picky about media and are more fragile than tray loaders. The one thing to look out for though is the cable of third party drives. Since Apple is once again ahead of the curve in choosing the USB C port over the USB 3 port, if you decide on a third party drive, pay attention to what kind of cable it comes with. A USB 3 device will need an inexpensive USB C adaptor.

what apple product should I buy in which i can put a CD or DVD to put in my MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.