Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How to ADD a SSD (not by replacing the HDD) to imac 27" late 2012

I want to add a SSD drive to my imac 27" late 2012 to improve performance but also use my current HDD as storage.

What I have found in the internet is only about replacing the HDD with SDD not having both.

The only useable video to add SSD to card slot is:

How to Install/Upgrade the SSD Card Slot of a 27-inch iMac (Late 2012) -- NEW VERSION AVAILABLE - YouTube

The question is that what is the type of this port:

User uploaded file

And how can i find such SSD card?

User uploaded file

Do you know which SSDs are compatible with such slot? (samsung (which model??), WD,.....)

iMac, iOS 11.3, null

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Hi,

Actually you can use almost every SATA III 2.5" SSD there is: PNY, Transcend, Sandisk,, WD or Samsung.

Personally, I recommend OWC or Crucial SSDs since they are thoroughly tested to work with Macs.

I installed a Crucial MX500 1TB in my MBP 9,1 last month and get a solid 500/540 MB/s.

Cheers

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Apr 20, 2018 1:54 AM in response to TheCh0sen0ne In response to TheCh0sen0ne

Many thanks.

I cannot find any other blade SSDs rather than OWC.

If I replace the HDD with SSD, is it possible to connect the HDD to the usb port (with some adapters) or something like that? what is the best way to connect old HDD?

Apr 20, 2018 1:54 AM in response to R_Rahmani In response to R_Rahmani

Of course you can replace the HDD with an SSD. A good idea would be https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/K27IM12HP1TB/

which already contains everything you need to do this operation.

You simply put your old HDD in an external 3.5" enclosure and connect it to your iMac using USB 3.0 or even Thunderbolt 2.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Apr 20, 2018 12:16 AM in response to R_Rahmani In response to R_Rahmani

The lower photo shows a PCIe SSD card from Other World Computing (OWC). You can find it here Apple Mac Upgrades - RAM, SSD Flash, External Drives and More

You may also be interested in reading Lexipex's post here: PCIe slot iMac late 2012??

Cheers

Apr 20, 2018 12:16 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 20, 2018 12:26 AM in response to TheCh0sen0ne In response to TheCh0sen0ne

Thank you,

But I am confused. in that post, everybody replied the questioner that imac 2012 has no PCIe port!

Does it have or not! (i mean that are you sure that this port is PCIe?)

another question, it the Other World Computing, the compatible SSDs for imac late 2012 is like this and not a card:

do you know how can I find card form?

User uploaded file

Apr 20, 2018 12:26 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 20, 2018 12:42 AM in response to TheCh0sen0ne In response to TheCh0sen0ne

Mactracker says that there is no PCIe on my mac!! so what is this port?

Another question is that, I have found PCIe SSD form samsung but the port seems different with what we see on the imac board. it seems that there are different types of PCIe.

At the end we come up with this question:

What is the type and specifications of the connection port on the imac 2012?

User uploaded file

Apr 20, 2018 12:42 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 20, 2018 12:49 AM in response to R_Rahmani In response to R_Rahmani

Precisely, it's not a PCIe card per se. It's a specificly designed Apple PCIe/SATA connector.

Here's an example of what I meant from OWC: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDIM12D240/

CAVE! You can't use any other standard PCIe SSDs from Samsung, Crucial, Sandisk...!

Apr 20, 2018 12:49 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 20, 2018 1:54 AM in response to TheCh0sen0ne In response to TheCh0sen0ne

Many thanks.

I cannot find any other blade SSDs rather than OWC.

If I replace the HDD with SSD, is it possible to connect the HDD to the usb port (with some adapters) or something like that? what is the best way to connect old HDD?

Apr 20, 2018 1:54 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Apr 20, 2018 1:54 AM in response to R_Rahmani In response to R_Rahmani

Of course you can replace the HDD with an SSD. A good idea would be https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/K27IM12HP1TB/

which already contains everything you need to do this operation.

You simply put your old HDD in an external 3.5" enclosure and connect it to your iMac using USB 3.0 or even Thunderbolt 2.

Apr 20, 2018 1:54 AM

Reply Helpful (1)
Question marked as Solved

Apr 20, 2018 2:17 AM in response to TheCh0sen0ne In response to TheCh0sen0ne

Hi,

Actually you can use almost every SATA III 2.5" SSD there is: PNY, Transcend, Sandisk,, WD or Samsung.

Personally, I recommend OWC or Crucial SSDs since they are thoroughly tested to work with Macs.

I installed a Crucial MX500 1TB in my MBP 9,1 last month and get a solid 500/540 MB/s.

Cheers

Apr 20, 2018 2:17 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: R_Rahmani

Question: How to ADD a SSD (not by replacing the HDD) to imac 27" late 2012