Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: itunes sync freezes when reading photos

Both my iPad Pro and my iPhone 6 can't sync with iTunes 12.7.4.76. Both devices are updated, iTunes is current, I'm running Win 10 Pro 64 and it's current. I've tried syncing, rebooting and resyncing, uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled (after rebooting computer), deleted photo cache, deleted from trash, rebooted, changed cable, changed USB ports.

It hangs when it gets to the reading photos step. I've let it churn away for a couple of hours and nothing.

Any thoughts?

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi, Cellular, Windows 10

Posted on

Page content loaded

Apr 20, 2018 11:04 AM in response to TheeCPA In response to TheeCPA

There is a new build ITunes 12.7.4.80, see iTunes - Download iTunes Now - Apple. It might improve things for you, or not.

If not then you might want to roll back to iTunes 12.7.3.46. See the iTunes installers section of Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for direct download links and advice on reverting to a pre-upgrade copy of your library. You lose the changes made to the library since you installed 12.7.4.76.

tt2

Apr 20, 2018 11:04 AM

Reply Helpful

Apr 28, 2018 4:49 PM in response to turingtest2 In response to turingtest2

Photo Sync just worked for me with iTunes 12.7.4.80 but the first time trying.

1. I have an iPhone 8 Plus with 256GBs of storage

2. Windows 10 latest Update

3. Batch Converted all my photos with a free program called IrfanView to resize for my screen 1334 Px Long Edge

a. That would be a reduction of size to all my photos

b. The conversion COPIES new photos into a new folder I created

4. Deleted the iPod Photo Cache folder

5. Started iTunes and disabled Sync for photos

a. Then waited for it to delete any photos on the iPhone from last Sync

6. Enabled Photo Sync again choosing the NEW folder I created with the resized photos

7. It copied 7800 photos in 10 Minutes (1.8GBs of Space)

Still to much work but it did work.

Apr 28, 2018 4:49 PM

Reply Helpful

May 10, 2018 11:04 AM in response to TheeCPA In response to TheeCPA

This is becoming very, very annoying. I have spent hours and hours either on the phone to the Apple support people or online trying to sort this mess out myself. Apple just don't appear to want to know. The attitude of their staff in my local Apple shop was one of "go away". They just wouldn't admit there is a problem.

I'm in the UK . We have "Trading Standards" people who might be interested. After all, we have been sold a product that doesn't work.

Why no mention in the press? Surely they must use Ipads and Iphones?

Come on Apple, please act like a responsible company.

May 10, 2018 11:04 AM

Reply Helpful

May 13, 2018 6:56 AM in response to BigDominic In response to BigDominic

Hi Big, I think I solved it - kind of. After thee hours of calls to three different apple support people I was ready to buy a Surface Pro and be done with Apple. At my current billing rate (tax accountant) I spent roughly $12,000 of time fighting with it.

As a final attempt, I uninstalled itunes and the related apple software products, I then deleted all the apple folders I could find: the program folders, all the media folders, the iPod photo data base folder, all the apple and itunes files and folder in the Users folders. I stopped short of messing with the registry files. Then I reinstalled itunes.

Next I set up a folder for photos I wanted on my iPad and only put in about 30 pictures...it worked. The reading photos step only took about 60 seconds and then actually copying the photos only took about 5 seconds. So I started copying them in tranches of about 400. After about 8 hours I had about 4,000 photo’s transfered.

Note that the more pictures you have in the folders from which your transferring photos the longer it takes, even it you’re only transferring a couple hundred pictures. At the end the “reading photos” step would take close to an hour, but then copying the pictures (a few hundred) would only take a couple of minutes.

My plan is to continue moving them about 500 at a time; I’ll start it before bedtime and let it run all night.

It’s completely ludicrous that the software is written that pooly.

Hope that helps.

May 13, 2018 6:56 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: TheeCPA

Question: itunes sync freezes when reading photos