Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos app crashes on export

I am trying to export the photos collected on icloud from one library to a folder, to be added to my main library. As far as I have read, I cannot simply download the 36,000 or so photos from icloud into the main library without uploading all of my other photos (I do not have the space to do this on icloud). So I downloaded them all to a separate library. Every time I try to export the photos, the photos app gets to like 35,998 photos reportedly exported, and then crashes. In reality, no more than 6,000-7,000 of these photos are ever actually exported at one time.

My question is, how do I fix this? OR what is another way of combining the two libraries?

I have a 2011 Mac Pro and a 2015 Mac Air, both are running High Sierra. My photos library is on an external HDD that I transfer back and forth. The HDD itself is not disconnecting from the macs, so I do not think that is the problem. I have tried to export multiple times on both macs and while the air reported getting further, it had actually exported less photos than the pro. I have also tried to chunk it to 3000 photos at a time on the pro, to both the external, and then to just the mac's internal HDD and the problem remained the same. Space to the HDDs themselves is not the issue, there is plenty.

MacBook Air, iOS 11.3, or 2011 MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 20, 2018 10:10 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 20, 2018 11:29 AM in response to kbacklund

You can use the paid version of PowerPhotos to merge the original versions of Library B into Library A along with most of the the metadata, faces not included. One could opt to merge the edited verson instead of the originals but edits can be repaid and one can't go back to the original if it's not available.

If you don't have the iCloud Photo Library enabled and/or your library size would require purchasing additional iCloud space this method may be a more expedient way of merging one smaller library into a larger one.

User uploaded file

Apr 20, 2018 11:44 AM in response to kbacklund

What does the crash report show? Perhaps one of the items you are trying to export is corrupted.

Can you tell from the photos and videos that get exported, what the next item should have been, that has caused the crash?

Look at the filenames of the photos and videos that got exported.

Which command did you use for the export? Did you export with "File > Export > Export unmodified original" or did you export with "File > Export > Export ... items"? To merge your libraries use "File > Export > Export unmodified original" to preserve the best quality.

photos app crashes on export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.